Postpartum Depression
Options

I feel like I was mistreated....

Hi Ladies,     I am new to this board and I am going to try and make a long story short. This is very hard for me to talk about but I am hoping I can get some advice. I called my primary care doctor last week asking for help regarding PPD. I also wanted to talk to him about my birth control Implanon. I got Implanon about a month ago for birth control. About a week ago I started having anxiety and irrational thoughts. I was very scared and did not know what was going on. I am a healthy person with with no previous records of depression. When I called my primary care doctor they refused to help me. They told me to go to the ER. When I got to the ER I explained to them that I was having anxiety and irrational thoughts. I also explained to them that I did NOT want to hurt myself or anyone else. I love my self, my baby and family. I knew that something was wrong when I had the thoughts which is why I asked for help. Well they did not listen to me and put me in a room by myself and had me on a "watch." They keep me there for almost 6 hours before deciding to transfer me to a local hospital that could help. They ended up transfering me to a Psych Ward. I spent a total of 3 days there. It was the scariest 3 days. I talked with a psychatrist and he determined that I had PPD and OCD. Anyways I feel that I was mistreated. I feel that no one at my doctors office/hospital would listen to me. I went in and asked for help and they didn't know how to handle me and transfered me out. My psychatrist felt that I didn't need in patient treatment and said that the hospital was just trying to protect themselves. I am currently on medication for PPD and OCD and have a an appointment to get the Implanon taken out. Did anything else like this happen to anyone else? Thank you.

Re: I feel like I was mistreated....

• Options

OMG!  I am soooo sorry that this happened to you!  How horrible, beyond horrible!  I hope that you are seeking a new primary care physician.  I know I am.  I went in on Monday with much of the same situation.  My PCP refused to even speak to me about it.  They didn't refer me anywhere though.  After begging, I have an appt Friday with my OB. 

I hope you can get the relief and help that you need with your current psychiatrist.  GL!  I am so sorry again that you had to go through all of that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    OMG - that is terrible.  Definitely get a new doctor.  When I talked to my primary care doc about concerns, he first gave me a big hug, said not to feel guilty, it is often chemical, etc. and we talked.  He still to this day asks me whenever I go in for something if I'm ok, even though we found a thyroid issue that may have been a big part of the cause.  No doctor should dismiss someone asking for help, ever.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

IMO, yes, you were mistreated.  I am so sorry for what you have been through.  Oh my word.

I would find a new primary care doctor, asap.

Are you continuing to see a psychiatrist?  I would, as they are the ones with the specialized training to deal with issues like what you current have. 

I get very frustrated with the mental health system.  When people need help, they need attention relatively quickly. Sending you to the ER was not appropriate, but if you were to have called a psychiatrist, it would take weeks to get an intake appointment.  When you are in near-crisis mode, you don't have weeks to wait.  It sucks.

I wish you all the best.  Try to do your best to put the situation behind you and take the best care of yourself that you can.  I hope that things get better soon!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I def think you were mistreated. I cant believe your MD didnt help. I am so sorry and hope you are getting the help you need.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"