South Florida Babies

NBR: 30th Bday Trip ideas needed

So, realistically, a party at the house isn't an option.

My 30th bday is quickly approaching (Aug), and I really want to go on a trip w/ DH to celebrate.  For his 30th, we went to Vegas, and had a blast!

I told Dh last night that I wanted to do something like NY, and he said something like that was fine (I really want Paris, but too much going on right now - too expensive).

Now, to decide where to go.  Vegas is not an option, neither is anything in FL.  Perhaps an AI in Cabos?  The only prob we need to take into acct is hurricane season. 

How's SF in Aug?  I *hope* to be pg by then, so maybe SF isn't the best idea... won't be able to enjoy wine country!

We do love the beach, but do get a lot of it down in FL, so not necessary, but I do like the idea of relaxing in Mexico.  I love to travel, and explore new cities.

-- Jackie
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: NBR: 30th Bday Trip ideas needed

• What about the NE?  Maine, Vermont, rhode island, cape Cod.  Those are all beautiful in August and near the water, though not quite beach-y.

Hopefully you'll be pregnant by then in which case a long flight is not the best idea.  I know the drs say you can do it, but I know that I wouldn't feel like it! 

image image

• Or Chicago?  Have you been there?  It's like NY but with nicer mid-westerners.  I love chicago. 
    image image

• Loading the player...
  • Jackie,

Have you ever been to Austin, TX?  I know it doesn't sound like an exciting place, but ever since a friend of mine moved there I keep seeing articles about it in travel magazines.  The art and music scene is great and there are so many things to do.  Plus, if you are into food, there is a huge variety to sample...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsLeanna:
    Or Chicago?  Have you been there?  It's like NY but with nicer mid-westerners.  I love chicago. 

Chicago and Boston are on my top list too.  I think both cities have tons of activities that Dh and I would love.  And since it is baseball season, we can catch a game or two.

I was in CHI briefly for training a few yrs ago in mid-Aug, and I recall it being in the mid-50s at night... gorgeous!

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • When we went on our honeymoon to Tahiti we had to leave from Los Angeles. So when we returned from Tahiti we decided to take an extra week and stay in California. We rented a car in Los Angeles and did all the touristy things there then drove up the coast (what an AMAZING view) and stayed in a few cities in between and ended the trip in San Francisco. Even though you might not be able to drink there are a lot of other things to do in San Fran. We had an awesome time!

If not how about Tennessee? We love going up there. We always stay in a cabin and there's a lot to do there too.

• imageSheyandBeau:

When we went on our honeymoon to Tahiti we had to leave from Los Angeles. So when we returned from Tahiti we decided to take an extra week and stay in California. We rented a car in Los Angeles and did all the touristy things there then drove up the coast (what an AMAZING view) and stayed in a few cities in between and ended the trip in San Francisco. Even though you might not be able to drink there are a lot of other things to do in San Fran. We had an awesome time!

If not how about Tennessee? We love going up there. We always stay in a cabin and there's a lot to do there too.

Travelling all of CA sounds like a lot of fun and a trip I would def love to take.  However, this may be a long weekend type of trip.

For sh*ts and giggles, I looked up Paris.  Buffett is playing in Sept, so I tried to plan the trip around the concert, and yeah, way too much!  LOL  And food and extras wasn't even included.

GA may be an option too.  I have family there, and they go white water rafting often... but then again, I prob won't be in the state to join them!  

-- Jackie
  • Come to think of it, we weren't there a week we arrived on Friday morning and left San Fran on Monday night. We stayed in Los Angeles Friday and hung out all day Friday and stayed the night there. Then Saturday we drove up the coast and stopped in between in a little town that looks like Holland. There's windmills everywhere. It was SO cute. Then Sunday we arrived in San Fran and did the touristy stuff there and left Monday night. Its definitely a trip that I would recommend to everyone. You see it all in California. Beach, Mountains and all the wineries are soo nice (even though you wouldn't be able to drink). :(

Good luck planning your trip. I'm sure anywhere you go, you'll have a blast.

• SF is not really hot in August. Its always pretty cool up there but yeah...if you are pg (and hopefully you will be) it would suck if you miss out on Wine Country!

Have you been to DC? We went there on our 1st Anni trip and had a blast. It was somewhere neither of us had been.

DR is AWESOME but again...you run into the problem with Hurricane Season.

I have always wanted to go to Maine, stay at a B&B, and go whale watching. The Poconos is beautiful even in the summer. You do not need snow up there to enjoy it. Martha's Vineyard? I know...so chic!

• imageMrsLeanna:
    Or Chicago?  Have you been there?  It's like NY but with nicer mid-westerners.  I love chicago. 

I second Chicago!  I went there a few years ago on a field trip and it was sooo much fun. 

• You have a lot of great suggestions from the other girls. I think DC, Boston or Chicago would all be amazing trips in August and the flight isn't too long, so if you're prengant it won't be that bad. Flying to SF will be uncomfortable and you definitely don't want to miss out on wine country!

Someone mentioned Tennessee - If you go to Gatlinburg, go in the winter! It's so gorgeous then, and a lot of the fun stuff to do in the summer are outdoorsy activities that you won't be able to do while pregnant (like white water rafting, horseback riding, theme parks, etc..).  

imageimage

Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Jackie, I know a few couples who own cabins up in the mountains of NC and have a ball up there for long weekends. There is all kinds of stuff to do. Will it just be you and DH? Or a group of you?
  • If you want to take a trip up here to NY, Summer is definitely the best time to do it. The city is so beautiful and full of life that time of year.

• imageMellyMelB:
    Jackie, I know a few couples who own cabins up in the mountains of NC and have a ball up there for long weekends. There is all kinds of stuff to do. Will it just be you and DH? Or a group of you?

For now, just Dh and I.  We may make it open to others to join, but depends where we go.  Haven't decided that far ahead yet!

I guess right now, my top choices are CHI and NY.  And I def want to look into Poconos / Martha's Vineyard / MA options! 

Yeah, I'm so excited.  : )

-- Jackie
  • I absolutely love Boston. There's so much to do there!

Since you said Paris, have you considered Montreal? I've never been but I know it's often compared to Paris.

• imagejengen06:

I absolutely love Boston. There's so much to do there!

Since you said Paris, have you considered Montreal? I've never been but I know it's often compared to Paris.

I love Montreal!  I've actually been 4x... 2x in summer, and 2x in winter.  : )

-- Jackie
  • ohh fun!

i spent my 30th bday in nyc.

• imagecocojack10:
    imagejengen06:

I absolutely love Boston. There's so much to do there!

I love Montreal!  I've actually been 4x... 2x in summer, and 2x in winter.  : )

Well, scratch that idea! lol. Smile

• I would definitely go to NY. I love that city, so much to do, it never gets old. i think if you are going to be pg, then SF is too long of a flight for you. What about New Orleans...i've never been but everyone has told me its awesome!

-j

• imageRNjack:

I would definitely go to NY. I love that city, so much to do, it never gets old. i think if you are going to be pg, then SF is too long of a flight for you. What about New Orleans...i've never been but everyone has told me its awesome!

-j

NO is a great idea too.  I've wanted to visit... heard great things about it.  DH has been for Mardi Gras (before me) so not sure how he'd fell about going.

-- Jackie
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"