Postpartum Depression
Options

RP from 3rd tri, Zoloft during pregnancy?

I have been struggling with Anxiety for a long time, but had never talked to a Dr. about it, as I was embarassed. However, the past few months have been very difficult for me, so I finally brought up the subject with my OB today. It was really hard for me to bring up, but I feel so much better just having talked to her about it. She taught me some things to do to take my mind off the anxiety when I feel like I am having an attack and made me feel not so alone in this. She says she sees so many women with anxiety, and I shouldnt feel ashamed or alone.

She perscribed me 25 mg of Zoloft once a day. She said that is a small dose and that we would wait and see how it was working and then it can be increased if need be. Im glad she started me off on a small dose, as I am sensitive to alot of medications. Are any of you ladies taking this? I haven't taken my fist dose yet and was just wondering if there is anything that you have experienced with it that you would like to share. I appreciate the help.

Any of you ladies on here take Zoloft while you were pregnant or BF?

Re: RP from 3rd tri, Zoloft during pregnancy?

• Options

I have had problems with depression on and off over the years and have had good luck with Zoloft. I continued to take it while I was pregnant as it was really necessary to keep by depression in check. I take 200mg daily and took the same dose each day during my entire pregnancy.

My OB did tell me that there was a chance that my baby might have some slight withdrawral effects. This basically consists of some jitteriness the first couple of day after birth and I shouldn't be concerned. Even on 200mg, my son had no symptoms of any withdrawral effects. He is 6 months old now and is just as healthy as the rest of the kids his age and he is a very happy baby. I did not breastfeed but I do not think that very much of the drug is excreted in breastmilk. You could ask your OB for specifics.

My suggestion would be to try the Zoloft and see if it helps. Good luck!

• Options
    I was am on 50mg of Zoloft.  I took it throughout my pregnancy and while breastfeeding.  My LO is totally fine.  No withdrawal or anything.  I hope it helps you....its made a world of difference for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took Zoloft for PPD and anxiety after LO was born and my OB said that I could breastfeed. I think it would be fine. Good Luck to you.
  • Options

Yep. I started on 25mg when I was about 20 weeks pregnant and I still take it. My DD is 7 months and EBF. I had some bad anxiety and PPD with my first DD and really didn't want to have that experience again.

The Zoloft has been amazing for me. I took 25mg for 2 weeks, then went up to 50mg. When my DD was 6 days old, I increased to 100mg and that's where I have been since.

The only thing I noticed is that it made me a little sleepy, so I take it right before bed. I can tell if I miss 2 or 3 doses, I really start to feel different. I was also hesitant to BF on it, but my doctors assured me it was fine and DD hasn't showed any side effects.

Please don't feel ashamed. It is nothing you can control and you don't HAVE to feel that way. Hopefully the medication will work well for you and you can deal with the anxiety.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"