Postpartum Depression

Yep...officially joining this board

Yesterday I went to DS's 2 week well baby check up and as part of it they do a written screening for PPD for the mother. My score was high and they immediately contacted my OB. She prescribed me Celexa as I had taken it before. I was on Wellbutrin simultaneously during those years I took it, but have opted to try just one med. My OB and the SW both expressed the importance to go stay with my mom for a few weeks. DH's hours are really crazy and he just isn't able to be here for me.

I'm a little disheartened by this because DH and my mom keep saying how it's just lack of sleep and normal. I cried my eyes out saying it's not normal to have intrusive thoughts of harming LO (which I've had).

So is anyone else on Celexa and BFing? The SW told me that some researcher stated that you should pump at 6 hours and throw that milk out as that's when the body metabolizes the medication, but all other times the milk is safer.

I hope this medication works. I can't continue to keep feeling like this.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
I LOVE MY THREE KIDS! :)
imageimageimage
Want great discounts?? Want to earn free Scentsy or even earn some extra money??
Click on the logo and ask me how!

Re: Yep...officially joining this board

• Hugs.

Hang in there....we are here for you.

I'm not on meds, but I think I've read that one is safe. Have you looked on Kellymom.com ? They have all kinds of info on meds and bfing. If not, call an LC. I'd go by there advice over the SW's.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • You're not alone. Be proud that you recognized that you needed the help early on, despite others telling you otherwise. The first few weeks while the medication kicks in is always the roughest, and while it's not a magical cure all, I promise it will help to make you feel okay again. Staying with your mom might be the best thing for a bit. Just till you get on your feet again. I remember that newborn stage being so rough and just gritting my teeth day in and day out, cringing everytime I heard him moving in his sleep. Having someone there to help made it slightly better.

• Loading the player...
  • Welcome!  Knowing what you are dealing with is, IMO, half the battle.  You are getting help and it will get better--it will be a combination of the medication and the baby getting older, but it will get better.

I'm sorry that you are feeling disheartened.  Personally, I was relieved to know that what I was feeling and experiencing was real--and that there were things to do to help me feel better.

My MIL (and FIL) were with me the first week that we were home from the hospital.  My parents were with us during the day and then took over when the ILs left.  My mom stayed with me every night until my DH came home for R&R when LO was 2 months old (my DH is Army).  There is nothing wrong with getting and having help.  Your DH works crazy hours, you have a newborn--you need help!  I would not have made it without my family.

I can't provide any insight about breastfeeding.  I opted to formula feed so that I could get help with feeding.  (And then I got sick at delivery, so it was especially good that I was planning to bottle feed anyway.)

Hang in there!  Do your best to take care of yourself.  For me, I found that eating frequent, small, healthy meals helped A LOT.  I was eating five or six times a day, but the consistent protein and sugar levels helped my mood quite a bit.

ETA:  I just read your post below.  I felt much the same way, I felt obligated to care for my DS, but he scared me and while I wanted to love him, there were times that I doubted my love and I certainly did not like him.  And this, coming from a woman who had to do IVF to get pregnant!  Talk about guilt!  It will get better.  I knew that I was turning a corner when I would wake-up in the morning and look forward to getting my son up.  That was such an awesome feeling.  It didn't happen overnight, but it came.

As for food.  I ate 5 or 6 small meals and there were times that I had to gag it down.  I ate roast beef, fresh fruit and drank a lot of 2% milk--for each meal.  Boring as hell but its all I could stomach.  Food will help you feel better and, eventually, you'll enjoy eating again.

I am so sorry that you are feeling all of this.  It sucks.  But have faith that it will get better.   We are here for you and if you need an shoulder to lean on, feel free to page me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was on Celexa, and was told by our pediatrician that it was safe.  I'd take it right after she BFd at night, before her longest stretch of sleep to try and minimize what was in my milk.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"