Birth Stories
Options

Kayla's Forced Birth

I went to my doctor's appointment Wednesday, Dec. 12 per the usual. I was full term, plus 3 days. The nurse took my BP, while I was sitting straight up on the table, and it was slightly elevated. Doctor checked my cervix, fully effaced, 1 cm dialated. She sent me to L & D for a contraction stress test.

They laid me on my left side and hooked me up to a BP monitor, BP returned to normal and they inserted an IV for the Pitocin to start contractions for the stress test. Once begun they checked Kayla's HB, she did excellent with each contraction. They stopped the pitocin, and were about to discharge me when my doctor decided she wanted me in a room. I went to my room to wait for labor to begin. Doctors came and said we're starting a pitocin drip to induce labor. "Wait, why?" Doctor wants you to deliver in the morning. I never signed any forms allowing this to happen, except the initial for the stress test.

Two hours later (about 6 pm) nurse came back in the room and stopped the pitocin. Contractions were apparently too close together, I had not complained once, I couldn't even really feel the contractions. 8 pm nurse comes back and begins pitocin drip again. Midnight rolls around, I'm still not feeling like I'm in full blown labor, nurse comes back and stops pitocin again. Doctor wants me to get some sleep.

6:30 am, pitocin is began again. 7:45 am, doctor comes in the room says it's time for an emergency c-section because my daughter's HB is dropping at each contraction and then returning to normal. I ask, "Can I wait?" "Wait for what?" "Umm...Labor." "No, it has to be done now." I reluctantly sign the release papers and go into surgery. At 8:36 AM on Dec 13, 2007 my daughter came into this world. I don't remember the first 36 hours of her life because I was so out of it from the drugs. I hate the doctor and nursing staff that took what was supposed to be an amazing experience away from my family and I.

Before any of this had happened I had discussed with my doctor at length that I wanted to go completely natural, no induction, no pain meds. She completely ignored my request and did what she wanted to do, without my consent for the most part. I hope my next delivery experience is on my terms.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Kayla's Forced Birth

• Options
    Wow, sorry for your experience. I can hope that your next birth goes better. But I can't comment fully without knowing the OB's reason for your induction. Maybe there was a medical reason that you were unaware of and should have been.
  • Options
    I am sorry you had such a terrible experience. I am guessing you have switched Obs for this pg?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Perhaps staying home longer and not getting the epi would have been the things you could have done
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

imagediana.filipi:
    Perhaps staying home longer and not getting the epi would have been the things you could have done

I don't think think these things apply to her birth story.

If you want answers regarding why things happened:  I wonder if there is a statute of limitations on getting your birth records from the hospital?  If not, I would request a copy (they have to give it to you) and go over it with your new doctor or a counselor specializing in reproductive issues.  It could help.  Unless you've already moved on from it, then it might not help to bring it all up again.

I'm sorry it didn't go how you hoped.  I know how that feels.  I wish you the best.

• Options

imagediana.filipi:

She couldn't have stayed home longer, because she was already at the hospital having a routine stress test done, and she didn't get an epidural. Try actually reading before responding next time. That's what I tell my 8th grade students, anyway.

• Options

First off,  congrats on your healthy baby!!

I'm very sorry you are feeling the birth could have gone different.  Turning the pit on and off just sounds weird (and cruel) to me, were you making any progress? Once they started me on pit it was a one way street - it just kept going up and up until I delivered.   I would try to get your records so you can figure out a new game plan with your new OB.

If you are going to try for a VBAC (which it sounds like you might want?) I highly recommend a doula for labor support. She would help you ask questions, slow things down and help you make sure interventions are happening for the right reasons, and not just for convenience of the doc.

Good luck!  

• Options

imagelilbit923:
    Wow, sorry for your experience. I can hope that your next birth goes better. But I can't comment fully without knowing the OB's reason for your induction. Maybe there was a medical reason that you were unaware of and should have been.

This.

I'm sorry the experience didn't go as planned. I cannot say that there wasn't a reason for the induction or c/s without knowing "what happened."

There is always so much more there that MANY people don't understand--even if it's explained to patients. For instance, even though your daughter's HR looked good with the CST, there might have been something else there that was a cause for concern, so the OB felt the need to induce you. I'm sorry that the OB didn't talk with you directly & go over what was going on. That is VERY frustrating and not fair to you.

And even though the heart rate dropped with contractions with pitocin, if you weren't progressing & this was already happening, it may have been a sign of stress--even though the heart rate returned to baseline. Again, there isn't much I could say to argue/defend the case without being in the know. There are so many factors to consider when looking at the monitor strip.

I hope you can get the answers you need, and have a safe, healthy delivery again. Congrats on being pregnant again!! 

High-risk L&D nurse...If in doubt, go to triage!

Trevor Calvin 12.10.07 7:26pm 7lbs2.5oz 19.75in

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Emerson Claire 07.07.11 11:34am 7lbs7oz 20.5 in

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

This story is everything that scares me about hospital births.  I'm sorry you went through this.  Have you contacted the hospital to complain?  Have you made your feelings known to your (hopefully FORMER) OB? 

Nobody should be treated like this.  It should be illegal. 

I'm very sorry you went through this and wish you all the luck in the world with your next delivery.  I'll also take it as a precaution to question EVERYTHING being done to me in the hospital to ensure I 100% understand what's happening, and why, at all times. 

L&D shouldn't be a place exempt from informed consent.

• Options

This disgusts me in so many ways I can't even begin. Maybe your daughter's HR wouldn't have dropped if they had waited for labor to begin on its own in the first place! Hospital time frames are ridiculous. Makes me want to get up and walk out for you as soon as they started waving the Pitocin around. I am a nurse in a neonatal ICU and want more than anything (as long as everything's normal) to stay as far away from the hospital as possible to have my baby... just for this reason. I know too much. Many of my coworkers think I'm crazy.

I am so sorry this happened to you and I truly hope the next one is more than you ever dreamed it could be.  Blessings!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"