Maryland Babies

cost of a nanny??

Hi! I am just starting the search for a nanny to come to my house in Locust Point for my 5 month old and 2.5 yr old. I have no idea what the going rate is, so was wondering if anyone has looked into this and could give me an idea of what to expect?

Thanks!!

Re: cost of a nanny??

• I nannied a couple summers in college. I got around $500 a week? I think it would be about the same now.
  • I nanny for 1 child and get $400 a week. That is at a little bit of a break because I bring my dd. I'll be stopping soon since I am pregnant, and I think they are going to be offering $400-$425/wk to the new girl. Average, I'd say is $400-$500/wk.

Also, things to take into consideration are if you'll be paying through a payroll service or cash and what kind of perks - vacation, sick, personal, any other benefits. It all comes into play. I mean, I got lucky, and took into consideration the low-end (even though I am college educated) as I was offered 5 paid sick days and 2 paid personal days a year. Also, they get 6 weeks of vacation a year and paid me for those, as well as offered my 4 weeks of my own unpaid vacation. 

• Loading the player...
  • I think that it varies a lot by location.  We're down in Annapolis, and for one infant, it was $10-$15/hour for one infant - not paid vacation or sick days.  The low end of the range might be someone who was not fluent in English, or brought her own child.
  • We were paying a young girl fresh out of college 600 a week for a nanny share, our son, plus one other.
  • I am in Annapolis as well and am interested in finding a nanny for one infant.  Did you use a service or find someone another way?  Thank you for the info.
  • I was and still am a nanny in the Crofton area.  Have been for 3 years.  I am paid $670 a week for 2 children, a 7 and 4 year old.  I too have paid vacation, which I must take when the family is on their vacation.  They are pretty flexible when it comes to days off and things.  I am also provided with my own car to drive when there.  I do not get paid sick/vaction/ or health care.  But that is something to take into consideration as well as how are you paying (under the table or through an agency).  This comes in handy when it comes to taxes and if you as the parent are going to be claiming childcare expenses on your taxes, if not then you can pay under the table. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"