Illinois Babies

Is the city any place to raise a baby?

I have been living in the city with my baby and am wondering if I should flee back to the suburbs. What does everyone think...Is the city any place to raise a child? andrea-stanley.com 

Re: Is the city any place to raise a baby?

• Yes, the city is a perfectly fine place to raise a child.  :/
  • yes!! it's a wonderful place to raise a baby!! Think of all the opportunities you have with LO here, the museums and parks and all the free cultural events!! The great schools available!

I don;t understand why anyone would want to raise a child in the suburbs, there's nothing there!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • ok i'm replying pretty late here but um... I was raised in the city, my brother was, my DH was, his family was.... most of my friends were... etc... I could go on and on.   And finally we will absolutely be raising our kids in the city.  Not in the suburbs at all, in fact I would probably rather shoot myself in the foot than live in the suburbs (at least the far suburbs).  Why? Because in my opinion (YES I know it's only my lowly opinion) I think kids grow up with more street smarts in the city, more savvy about certain life experiences than suburban kids, have more exposure to different cultures, ethnicities, races, etc... are exposed to more art and just overall a more wholesome and wordly environment. 

That being said.  The city can be a dangerous place especially if you live in the inner city like I do, but you just have to be smart, use your common sense and raise your children as best you can.  I am also sending my kids to public schools and public high schools in the city.  (gasp!) Hopefully they will be smart enough to get into gifted/magnet schools like I attended and DH attended since that makes all the difference for college acceptance. 

It'll be tough for us in some respects, don't get me wrong.  We live in a condo and our kids will not be able to go outside and play in the yard or just run outside and play with their friends at all.  But we plan on only being in our condo for the next 3-4 years.  By the time our kids are over the age of 5 we hope to be able to afford a house with a yard and all that good stuff in a better area of the city.  But still the city!

So yes! the city is a great place to raise a baby!!! As long as you know what you're doing and you're savvy to the ways of the city!

And btw I don't get why it matters where you raise your "baby" while it's still an infant.  Babies don't know if you live in a city, suburb or small town.  They'll be indoors with a loving family and that's all they will know.  When they do get older making an informed choice about where to send them to pre-K and K and grammar school is obviously important. 

Sorry my response was so long, I'm just a life-long city girl and I love my city!!!

(ok finally, I also have lots of friends in the suburbs who have great children and wasn't trying to hate on the burbs but eh I just don't like 'em!!!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"