Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

Kindergarten

So hard to believe, but I am almost the mother of a kindergartner and I have a few questions for those of you with older ones.  Sophie will turn 5 on August 1st, so she will be either one of the oldest or one of the youngest in her class.  She is really tall and really bright and I am leaning towards putting her in in the fall.  I guess I am just wondering if anyone has any advice or been in a similar situation.  The cut off date in California was much later than here so you can be 4 for the first few months of kindergarten.

Has anyone had an evaluation done or have any resources.

Sorry for the long post!  Seriously, I almost cried when I bought girl scout cookies this year and realized Sophie could be a daisy scout next year!

Thanks!

Re: Kindergarten

• Options

My birthday is September 1st and I was held back because my parents were moving school districts. I would go ahead and send her. If she was boy, I would say hold her back but girls I think it's ok to be a little younger. I was always taller and more mature than the boys, even in high school. 

My best friend just held her son back, he is an August birthday. The only reason she held him back is because he was still having accidents at preschool.  

• Options
    We just moved from CA, and my dd was about average on age there for her class, here she is one of the younger.  I would go ahead and put her in.  We did because she had already done preschool.  If yours hasn't done preschool, then I would consider doing a pre-k first... The schools are so fast paced now, not like when we were kids.  I didn't have any evaluations, but I did talk to her preschool teacher and see if she felt she was ready for kindergarten.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I honestly think it depends on the child. My sister was the youngest in her class. Her birthday is June 21, and she had the last birthday of all her classmates. She was pretty immature and should have been held back a year. She graduated HS when she was 17 and was not ready for college at all.

However, my DH's birthday is August 3 and he was the youngest as well. He skipped 7th grade as well so he was a good two years younger than everyone else. He went to college and excelled and is very well adjusted.

If you do put your DD in kindergarten this year and she doesn't seem to be doing well you can always have her repeat it. My niece's birthday is Aug. 31, so pretty much the cut off. In Tulsa, they have a program for the in betweeners that isn't pre-k but isn't quite kindergarten. Its a transistion year for those that aren't quite ready this year. Maybe you can find a program like that. Good luck!

I will kick cancer's ass Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Dx Breast Cancer 4/2012 Invasive ductal carcinoma triple negative Currently on Taxol, start A & C in August
  • Options
    WyWysMommy - are you from Tulsa??  I lived there for most of my growing up years and my parents are still there.
  • Options

imageKim&Jim:
    WyWysMommy - are you from Tulsa??  I lived there for most of my growing up years and my parents are still there.

I am! Born and raised there. My entire family is still there pretty much. We have only lived in TX since Nov 08. Did you graduate from HS there? I went to Memorial...

I will kick cancer's ass Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Dx Breast Cancer 4/2012 Invasive ductal carcinoma triple negative Currently on Taxol, start A & C in August
  • Options

Thanks, I think we will go ahead and start her....

• Options

I taught Kinder for two years and think that if a child already knows some ABC's, numbers, shapes, colors, etc. then to not hold them back. You know if your child is smart and where they should be developmentally and you would know if your child is behind. If you think she's ready, then send her :)

• Options

Going off of the description you gave of your daughter, I'd say to go ahead and send her.  I taught kinder for 6 years and found that most female late-birthday students do great! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"