Illinois Babies

delivering at prentice

Has anyone delivered at Prentice?  How was your experience?  This is our first and I was wondering about what to expect and as I am starting to think about packing my bag and I was wondering if there was anything in particular that the hospital didn't provide that you were glad you brought or wish you had brought?

Re: delivering at prentice

• I had DD at Prentice and it was a wonderful experience.  The staff is very nice and the rooms are great.  One of my favorite things I remember is in the delivery room they had towels in a warmer you could take to keep you warm and cozy (epi gave me the chills, so it was nice).  After I had DD, the staff was so caring and always asking what I needed, etc.

When I was there (delivery room and in post partum room) I felt like the place was empty.  I asked a couple of times if there were a lot of other people having babies and every time I was told it was packed.  It was nice that I didn't even notice.

They provide pretty much everything.  I did bring my own pillow just so I had more support and I brought a couple of sleep shirts.  Also, I brought toiletries (don't rememeber if they had them) and of course an outfit to bring DD home in. 

The food was good too.  It was just like room service, so I felt like I was at a hotel:)

Not sure if you already know but they offer some great classes about baby and offer tours as well.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LOVED Prentice.  The staff, the facilities, the food, just everything was just wonderful.

One thing, though, request a lactation consultant as soon as you get to your post-partum room.  Prentice no longer has lactation consultants on staff, but they will bring one in if you request it.  I never got to see one, and it took a good 2 - 3 weeks to get LO to BF properly/regularly.

You can also ask for extra formula nursettes to go home with and they'll give them to you for free.  

• Loading the player...
  • Also, the post-partum menu service does not serve caffeinated beverages, (like Coca Cola), so bring money for the vending machine.

Their in-room internet service didn't work great, luckily DH and I brought a laptop.

I didn't shower the whole time I was there, but I did wipe down, so essentially I didn't use many of the toiletries that I brought.  Just toothbrush/paste, face cleaner, Dove wipes, lotion, chap stick, contact lens solution.  I also didn't use any of the reading material or spare towels.  DH used the spare pillow that we brought.

Also, a professional photographer comes around for your newborn pictures, you can opt to buy it or not.  We bought it, and it was AWESOME to have professional 1st day pictures.  But you and Dad will probably be invited to be in a few pictures, too, so be prepared for however you feel comfortable to appear in pictures.  And pay the $150 for the CD ... then you own the pictures and can reproduce them as much as you want.  The photographer creates the CD in about 20 minutes.

Also, get a manicure before you go in, if you can plan it at all.  My hands were in my newborn pictures ... thank goodness I had just gotten a manicure!

• Bring soft toilet paper.  :)
  • I had a great experience at Prentice. I was very impressed with the staff, and felt like I had a lot of support. The food was typical "hospital food", but I appreciated that I could order it at anytime etc. That made things easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"