Birth Stories
Options

Ryleigh Rose is here!

Ryleigh Rose
6 lbs 15 oz
19.5 inches long

January 21 started like every other day. I was still having contractions, but not "real" contractions. So, I went to work. Today was 39 weeks, which was exciting! Around noon, I started having contractions that I couldn't walk through, but I wouldn't call them painful. I had a Dr appointment scheduled for 6pm and received a call that the Dr needed to cancel. I asked to see any Dr that day because I was anxious to get a cervix update, especially with these new contractions. They fit me in at 2:45, so I left work at 2, joking that they might not see me the next day.

At my appointment, the Dr checked me and told me I was 2 cm and 70% effaced, which wasn't what I was expecting. She told me to make an appointment for the following week and we could talk induction at that appointment. I was frustrated and decided to take a walk when I got home. As soon as I got home from the walk at 4pm, the contractions started getting stronger. I got in the shower and it didn't help. I called DH and asked him to come home from work. For the next 4 hours, we labored at home. The contractions were getting very painful! DH timed them all, and once they were 3 mins apart we decided to call the Dr and head to the hospital.

We were in a hospital room by 8:30pm. I was only 3 cm but full dilated, and they admitted me. 2 hours later, the contractions were getting INTENSE and I was 6 cm dilated. The Dr came in and broke my water. After that, I didn't get much of a break between the contractions and even with changing positions every few mins, they were rough. I asked for medication in my IV (I forget what it was called). All it did was make me feel drunk and practically pass out between contractions, but did absolutely nothing for the pain. I asked for an epidural, but with the lowest possible dose. I could still feel the contractions, but they weren't as intense. I could feel more on the left side, so I'm pretty sure that it didn't fully take!

Shortly after the epidural, we had a VERY scary moment where Ryleigh's heart rate suddenly dropped from the 130s to 82, and it didn't come up. They prepped me that they would need to do a c-section and get the baby out, and then all of a sudden (after a few position changes), her heart rate got back up where it should be. PHEW!

We had arrived on a busy day, so we were in a temporary room. They were getting a birth room ready for us, and we figured we still had a few hours of laboring left. The nurse checked me about 30 mins after getting the epidural and we were all shocked to hear that I was full dilated and ready to go!

They very quickly wheeled me into a birth room and we started pushing. At this point, I could feel EVERYTHING! It was like I had no epidural, but I'm glad - I don't think I could have pushed properly if I didn't feel everything. We pushed 5 times and out she came at 1:20am! After the head was out, the shoulders came and it was the most relieving feeling ever!

The cord was wrapped around her neck, so the Dr quickly cut the cord and it was very tense for a few moments until we heard her cry. All I could do after her birth was cry, tears of joy. I couldn't believe she was here!

I had an episiotomy, but didn't realize it until she started sewing me up (I needed local anesthesia for that it HURT!).

I went into this birth without a plan, and I'm so glad I did. We just went with whatever happened, and it was perfect!! I am so very happy to have my little daughter, Ryleigh Rose!

Re: Ryleigh Rose is here!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"