Birth Stories
Options

Birth Story with a Surprise

On January 14th, I had a NST at 8:30 am because I was 2 days passed my EDD.  After the NST, MW did an internal (4 cm without feeling any contractions!) and stripped my membranes for a 2nd time.

I left the hospital to go to and went to the friend's house who was watching DS while I was doing my tests.  While I ws there, I noticed some cramping but wasn't concerned because that had happened after my membranes were stripped the 1st time.  By mid afternoon, my "cramps" were becoming pretty regular and could be felt in my back as well as in my lower abdomen.  At 3 pm, my friend started timing and they were about 30 - 45 seconds long and 7 minutes apart.  We walked around the block and at 5 pm they were about 3 minutes apart.  So, I called DH and told him he needed to go home (he's in the Army so doesn't work regular hours) and I called my mom to come get me and DS.

For the next 2 hours, I labored at home, but contractions were getting really close together and as this was my 2nd, I knew I should probably get to the hospital.  We arrived a little after 8 pm and were in our room by 9pm.  I had planned a natural birth, so after receiving a bag of fluids, the nurse unhooked the IV and monitors to I could move around the room.  Quickly the contractions, became more and more uncomfortable and I was grateful to have the freedom to change positions.  At around 10:30, I was really re-thinking the natural birth thing but deep down I knew I was probably in transitional labor and that very soon it would be over.

Boy, was I right.  Finally, none of the out of bed positions were working for me, so I went back to the bed and after my first contraction, I felt my water break.  DH went for the nurse, and as soon as they got back to the room, I needed to push.  The staff tried to get me to wait, but LO was ready.  The head was out before the OB was in the room, followed shortly by the rest of the body.  The pushing stage lasted 9 minutes and probably 5 contractions.  Due to the speedy delivery, I had 1 2nd degree tear and another smaller one that required stitches.  LO was born at 11:18 pm, weighing 8 lbs, 3 oz and 21 inches long.

And the surprise?  We thought we were having a girl, so when LO came out and was a boy we didn't even have a name.  By the next morning, we decided on Aden Matthew.

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Birth Story with a Surprise

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"