Birth Stories
Options

Late Birth Story

I'm not a big poster but I thought I would share my story. I had my baby boy, Liam, on December 14th at 5:05pm. He was 6lb 8oz and 19 and a half inches long. I went for my 38 week appt. on Thursday the 10th. The dr. checked me and couldnt feel any progress or the baby. He decided to do an ultrasound to see where baby was at. As he walked in I asked if he thought Liam was breech and he said nah. Well, he ate his words because yes this boys head was in my ribs. So he gave us uptions and we chose to have a scheduled c-section. After an hour with the scheduling lady we finally got the surgery scheduled for Monday the 14th.

We show up Monday and were sent to our room. I have to say that was the wierdest feeling. I have never been in the hospital for anything and just sitting there waiting on someone to tell us what to do was horrible. Finally we get changed and checked in just in time for the Dr. to come in and say they are running way behind. We finally got on our way to the operating room. I hated this part because they didnt even let me say bye to DH. I know he was about to come in the room but it would have been nice to at least kiss him before I was gonna have a huge needle stuck in my back. The spinal was a piece of cake. It didnt hurt at all. It took a lot longer than I thought to get numb and I still never felt like it was numb enough. I guess I was wrong because I didnt feel any pain during the surgery. The surgery took a lot longer than I expected. I cant say I was a fan of the tugging and poking around inside me. They kept asking me if I was okay and telling me I was too quiet. I didnt know it was chatty kathy hour so I was just concentrating on not freaking out. She told me when they gave me the morphin after the surgery was over and not long after I started getting this tightening in my chest. It wasnt bad enough for me to complain about just a wierd feeling. Finally Liam was born and the first thing I said was wow he is so tiny. He came out crying and cried all the way to recovery. After that they wisked DH over to take pictures and cut his cord and other dad duties. Then he left with the baby. I thought the actual putting me back together took longer than the surgery.

Recovery was not as easy as the surgery. We got in the room and did the skin to skin contact and tried breastfeeding for an hour. They finally let family come in and I have to say I was a little overwhelmed with the baby, surgery and family all happening at once. We passed the baby around and visited for a few hours and thats when things started happening. After a couple hours I started getting dizzy and feeling sick. Our room had to have at least 16 people in it so I called my DH over and told him that I think we need to call the  nurse because I was feeling dizzy. Thats when my sister in law noticed I was turning white and asked if I was okay because I didnt look so good. At that moment my DH called the nurses and three nurses rushed in and made everyone leave immediatly. Turns out my blood pressure had dropped to 58/35 and I was having major bleeding. I ended up loosing too much blood during surgery and after. The wonderful nurses did everything they did and got me back up. I ended up staying an extra night and getting two bags of blood. It didnt really scare me but it did my dad. You gotta understand that we lost my mom two years ago and i'm his only daughter so he is very protective. He cried because he thought I was going to die. I also ended up with horrible gas pain the whole time I was there. It started in my chest and shoulder for the first night but then moved to my stomach the rest of the 4 day stay. Nothing helped the pain, not even morphin. Recovery from home has been so great. My DH has done so much for us and still 4 weeks later doesnt let me do a whole lot.

We kind of rushed into having kids after the loss of my mother and so when time came for him to come it was a little overwhelming wondering if we made the right decision. I have to say it was definitly the right decision.

Re: Late Birth Story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"