Austin Babies

Just when I was scard of RSV...whooping cough?!

So, I got this email from Hays County Health Department...

Whooping cough begins like a cold, with a runny nose, sneezing and a cough that slowly gets worse,? said Deb Mahan, R.N., B.S.N., epidemiology nurse with the Hays County Personal Health Department. ?After a week or two, strong coughing fits occur, which in young children are often followed by a whooping sound as the child tries to catch his breath.

?The sudden increase in whooping cough cases concerns us, since in January 2009 we had only one case reported, but since early December 2009 we?ve had 24 probable cases reported to the Texas Department of State Health Services. If you suspect that you or a member of your family has whooping cough, please see your health care provider immediately,? Mahan said."

Greeeeeaaat... Granted, we rarely do anything in Hays County--we spend our time away from home in Travis County. And, I **think** my children are immunized against this...ugh...we'll see if dd's cough is any better by Friday.

Jennifer--
imageimageimage

Re: Just when I was scard of RSV...whooping cough?!

• If you stay up to date on vaccines - then you're likely protected. It's up in RR and Austin too (so Travis and Williamson.)  It's been going up in past years from a lack of vaccinations.  I wouldn't worry too much honestly.  And kids get coughs all the time especially if they've had a runny nose. 
  • I'm a teacher and our school nurse just told me about this too. Ryder has is vax and she said to keep him away from other children right now...easier said if your child isn't in daycare, etc. though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageAbrooks:
    If you stay up to date on vaccines - then you're likely protected. It's up in RR and Austin too (so Travis and Williamson.)  It's been going up in past years from a lack of vaccinations.  I wouldn't worry too much honestly.  And kids get coughs all the time especially if they've had a runny nose. 

Actually in many Pertussis outbreaks, you'll see children who've received DTaP come down with the disease. Vaccines don't offer lifetime immunity, and the acellular pertussis vaccine portion of the DTaP is one of those vaccines that doesn't seem to remain in the system for all that long.

• imagemcgee:

imageAbrooks:
    If you stay up to date on vaccines - then you're likely protected. It's up in RR and Austin too (so Travis and Williamson.)  It's been going up in past years from a lack of vaccinations.  I wouldn't worry too much honestly.  And kids get coughs all the time especially if they've had a runny nose. 

Actually in many Pertussis outbreaks, you'll see children who've received DTaP come down with the disease. Vaccines don't offer lifetime immunity, and the acellular pertussis vaccine portion of the DTaP is one of those vaccines that doesn't seem to remain in the system for all that long.

ugh, I really need to get Leo in for his booster. They weren't able to do it at his 15 month check up because we just switched pedis and his records haven't been transferred yet. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • One thing you can do to minimize risk is to make sure you, DH, and any other regular caretakers (ones you can tell to do this, I mean, like if a family member watches DC a lot) are vaxed against this and other diseases. Adults are most commonly the ones that infect children, precisely because we don't keep up with our boosters.

• imagem_and_m:

One thing you can do to minimize risk is to make sure you, DH, and any other regular caretakers (ones you can tell to do this, I mean, like if a family member watches DC a lot) are vaxed against this and other diseases. Adults are most commonly the ones that infect children, precisely because we don't keep up with our boosters.

Thanks for the reminder that I need to get mine. I also need to get meningitis one when I stop BFing (I think I remember that being the case)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • This is the one that makes me the most nervous.  Our DS had horrible reactions to the first 2 pertussis shots, so we haven't allowed him to have any more....(with the pedi neurologists recommendation.)  Needless to say, we haven't had the twins get this shot yet either....I don't want to live in fear, but I don't want to get out and expose them to it accidentally either....All the more reason to remind EVERYONE in their lives who see them regularly to get booster shots!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"