Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Doesn't startle at loud noises?

I noticed last night DS doesn't startle at loud noises, or turn to see where a noise is coming from. I was trying to get his attention from a few feet away, and noticed he wasn't trying to see where the noise was coming from.  I tried banging a pot lid with a spoon (he was in his exersaucer, I was several feet behind him), snaping my fingers close to his hear, DH slammed a book on our coffee table (a few feet away from him), and nothing. He didn't turn to see what caused the noise, didn't turn his head, he didn't jump or startle.

I don't know anything about baby hearing development, but does your LO do something similar? He does laugh, coo, and make sweet little noises, so I'm guessing something is working in his ears..

Re: Doesn't startle at loud noises?

• Mine used to startle, but now I think he's so used to loud noises that they don't bother him anymore... haha.

He will still turn to look sometimes - particularly if it's the dog barking (he LOVES to look at the dog), but for the most part he ignores all the loud stuff.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'd be on the phone with the pedi ... he needs his hearing checked, and the sooner the better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Did he pass his audiological test before he left the hospital? I'm not sure that there's anything wrong but J usually turns his head towards loud noises or the sound of mine or DH's voice. I would put a call in to the pedi.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i was told that if they don't startle to loud noises that it could be something to do with a harsher form of jaundice. I'd call the pedi. I  could be wrong. but its better safe than sorry.
  • Has LO had ear infections?  Sometimes if there is fluid in their ears it can affect their hearing. I know it made a difference with DD. I would make an appointment with your pedi to discuss, he may send you to an ENT to get the ears checking and/or to get a hearing test just to be safe.  It may be nothing, but I would get it checked out.

• imageMrsBatty:
    I'd be on the phone with the pedi ... he needs his hearing checked, and the sooner the better.

This. Especially when you mention banging the pot behind him. DS freaks out at loud noises and will definitely look to see where a noise is coming from. Hopefully it's nothing, but better be safe than sorry.

• i think that's probably good that he doesn't startle. i think that startling too easily is a sign of autism.

but maybe ask the doctor just in case?

• Thanks ladies...I've left a message with an audiologist here at work, and if I don't hear back from her shortly I will put a call in to the pedi!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"