Babies: 0 - 3 Months

schedule/ waking baby (long)

so LO is 5 weeks old. I start back to work next week at 6 weeks. I am still relatively new on the job so I need to be able to get there promptly at 8:30 AM. I will be responsible for getting the baby fed dressed and ready in morning as well as getting myself ready, the animals fed/dog walked and dropping the baby off at daycare.I also need 20 minutes to pump due to DH giving him a bottle for one or two of his night time feedings.

I need to start some kind of routine or schedule and practice it this next week so that I can be sure to get to work on time and get everything done that I need to. Right now I always feed the baby on his schedule and let him sleep on his schedule too. He eats every 2 hours, but now sometimes has 3 hours stretches randomly once or twice a day/night. 

How would you implement a routine. I am needing to leave the house by 7:45 AM.  I am thinking that to accomplish everything I will need to wake up by 5:30am and begin by feeding the baby. The only problems this leaves are that I could wake him at 5:30 and he might not eat or want to fall back asleep, or if he decides to be on a two hour schedule then I would need to feed him again around 7:30am which only gives me 15 mins to feed him and get out the door in time.

How would you handle this. Would you just start trying to wake him or should I wake up  and if he isn't awake do everything else to get ready until he wakes and then get him ready?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: schedule/ waking baby (long)

• I would wake, feed the dogs then get him up. I would change him first and get him dressed. That always wakes my LO up, then I would feed and get myself ready.
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • I'm still on leave, so I haven't had to deal with this yet.  But my initial reaction is that I would try to only have to feed LO once in the mornings.  So I would get him up and ready later in my routine.  Plus, it would be easier to get yourself ready and take care of the animals if LO is still sleeping. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imageamber&patrick:
    I'm still on leave, so I haven't had to deal with this yet.  But my initial reaction is that I would try to only have to feed LO once in the mornings.  So I would get him up and ready later in my routine.  Plus, it would be easier to get yourself ready and take care of the animals if LO is still sleeping. 

This is what I'm planning on doing when I go back to work in a week and a half.  I'm going to wait to get DD up until I'm all ready then change, dress, and feed her right before I walk out the door.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I start work next week and plan on getting up at 5:15 and getting myself ready by 6, then waking baby and getting him ready. My goal is to be out of the house by 7 or 7:15 at the latest.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks ladies. I am getting so nervous about going back! I just know I am going to miss LO so much and I know some days at work I will be so tired if LO has a wakeful night! I am going to start out the routine tomorrow so hopefully everything will work out. Thanks for the input. I will wake up at 5:30, but I will let LO sleep up until 6:45 (if he wants) before waking him to feed change and get dressed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"