Multiples
Options

Hip ultrasound for breech baby

We are supposed to take mt daughter to an ultrasound for her hip since she was breech (but born via c-sect). The radiology office is apparently being goofy about our insurance and we may have to pay for the ultrasound upfront and file it on our own to get paid back, it costs over $400. I'm just wondering what your experiences are...did you have to do this? The pedi says her hips looked fine, this appt was made for us before they left the nicu. I just wonder if it's really necessary to go, if I don't have to get the babies out, I'd certainly rather be at home with them!!!! What do yall think?

Re: Hip ultrasound for breech baby

• Options
    kegkeg member

Both of our DDs had hip u/s done because they had a number of risk factors for hip dysplasia--being multiples, girls, too little fluid (Baby A), and breech (Baby B).  The actual u/s was super-simple and only took a few minutes to have done.  Ours took a little longer just because the radiologist came in to look also.  It turned out both of them were clear.  I'm definitely glad to have had it done.  It's one of those things that if they do have dysplasia, it can be treated relatively easily but can cause problems if not caught and treated. 

One thing the u/s did ask was if DDs were breast or bottlefed.  I think the rationale was if they are bottlefed, she said we could feed DDs while they did the u/s to keep them distracted.  (Not sure if you could do the same if they are EBF.)  We had fed them right before we went though and DDs did fine without the distraction.  All they did was take an u/s while they move DDs hips in different positions.

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options
    My girls had this done.  The pedi thought that they looked fine - he would move their legs around and feel their hips but sent them for the u/s to be sure regardless.  They checked out fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My baby B was breech but the pedi never mentioned sending him for a hip u/s. (He flipped back and forth between vertex and breech at least 5 times in the last 7 weeks, and ended up being delivered by breech extraction.) When she examined the babies at their first newborn visit, she commented they both had "breech legs" but never anything beyond that.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    Anastasia got a hip ultrasound when she was 6 weeks old (I think). My pedi said that it was standard procedure for breech babies, especially breech multiples. Her regular exams didn't show anything to worry about but the ultrasound was done just to be sure. It took 5 minutes and her hips are fine.
  • Options
    imagekeg:

It's one of those things that if they do have dysplasia, it can be treated relatively easily but can cause problems if not caught and treated. 

This is exactly what I was told.  We are going next week to have our DD u/s done.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"