Trouble TTC

Share your Clomid experiences please!

Hey Ladies -

I've been lurking occasionally, and it is great to find so much info out there.  I got married 6 months ago, and DH and I have been TTC for about that long, but I have only had 1 period in that entire time, so the ovulating thing is just not happening.  After a round of blood tests, my doc has put me on Clomid, which she says is also referred to as "Clomood," so I'm already expecting some nasty side effects. 

I don't know much about the drug, but I have seen it mentioned on here a few times.  If you have taken it, can you please share your experiences with Clomid and let me know what I should expect?  Any info would be very much appreciated!

TIA!

Re: Share your Clomid experiences please!

• I took it last month for a Clomid Challenge test, I didn't have any side effects while on it, but I did get emotional after I was done taking it, which is a side effect cause by the meds building up. I will be taking it again in the coming months, but at half the dose as for the challenge.

As hopefully your dr told you--Clomid can have very serious health consequences, so you need to be monitored with blood work and/or ultrasounds. Be concerned about a doctor who does not monitor you--some OB/GYNs slide on this, an RE never would. Assert your health if you need to! Also, you can only take it for so many months before it increases your risk of cancer--6 months is the number I have seen the most, but treatments that don't work within 3 cycles have a substantially lower chance of ever working, so some drs use 3-4 months as a cut off. I don't say that to freak you out, but just to reiterate that if you are not seeing an RE, make sure your OB/GYN is treating you as seriously as one would.

GL to you!

• Tia, I took Clomid for 2 different cycles (6 months each) that is a total of 12 months.  I didn't have many mood side effects... maybe slight, but nothing really noticeable.  I did have major hot flashes, and I am usually freezing.  When I finally went to see the RE, he asked me how clomid had effected me and I told him just that... and he said that some women can't even stand to take it for more than a month or so because it makes them really mean + other symptoms... Good luck.. it never worked for me, but my RE also said it is kinda a "waste of time, drug of the past".  He said if it is going to work and fix what is wrong with your cycle, it will within 2 months.  Hope this helps
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, PS.. .my RE said that the whole cancer thing with clomid hasn't been proven factual.  My RE is one of the top rated in the nation and he said the reason they dont make that big of a deal about disproving the cancer thing, is because OBGYNs need a stopping point or they would just keep patients on clomid forever!
  • I was on 3 cycles of it and was unsuccessful. I was really weepy with it, but nothing drastic.

One girl I know that was on it said she almost hit her DH with her car. I guess it's different for everyone...lol

Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Hi,
    I didn't have a period after I stopped BCP either. My doc put me on a Provera/Clomid regimen to make me have a period and start ovulating again. I have used Clomid for the past 2 cycles (first dose 50 mg, 2nd dose 100 mg) with no success. I have not had any side effects as of yet. I have done a lot of research on Clomid and know it is not a drug to be taken lightly. My doctor and I have come up with a plan that works for both of us. (I am going to try 150 mg next cycle and if I still am not ovulating he will refer me to a RE). A lot of people will tell you not to start Clomid unless you are being followed by a RE but I feel comfortable with my doctor and with my research. I would tell you to do your research and don't do anything you are not totally comfortable with! GL!
  • I found out I was pregnant back in September and two days later I had a miscarriage.  So my way of coping is to try for another pregnancy.  Since then I have been diagnosed with PCOS and am about to start my next round of clomid.  I took 50 mg the first month and it did not make me ovulate, but no side effects either.  Doc upped me to 100 mg this time, so pray for me.  I will keep you updated on my experience.  Is anyone having a hard time with the emotional ups and downs of testing, bloodwork, and waiting?
  • I have done 3 rounds of Clomid with no luck.. No mood swings just some hot flashes. Thank goodness for my little desk fan at work or I would be taking my clothes off..lol

Dx: PCOS, Anovulatory, Amenorrhea 2006
    TTC: Sept 2008
    IVF#1 Cancelled due to breast biopsy.05/01/20

IVF#1.2- 9/2010 - Cancelled Oversurpressed

IVF#2 Microdose Lupron 10/2010 Beta 11/09=BFN
    IVF#3 2/2011 - 2 blasts(2/25) Beta 03/11 =BFN
    IVF#4 Lupron 01/02 =2 blasts, beta's 1-4 198,234,398,3100!!BFP
    FET 3/2014 2 blasts BETA 3/20=BFP TWINS EDD 11/27 TEAM PINK!!!                   

• The only s/e I had was headaches at the 100 mg dose.  At 50 mg I was fine.  If you are on it, ask to be monitored if you are not already.  This way you can see how many eggs are forming and their size, etc.  Although mine would grow, only one would ovulate.  So it was pretty useless considering I was already ovulating.  But if you don't ovulate, clomid can be a game changer!  Good luck!
  • I didn't have any of the mood swings or heat flashes or anything like that.  I honestly didn't feel any different at all. Maybe I'm just lucky though! 
  • My dr wants to put me on clomid as well.  i haven't started taking it yet.  My bff took it and had really bad hot flashes.  I'm going to try acupuncture first.  I've had 2 friends who had more success with the acunpuncture then clomid.  Good luck!

• I was just lurking tonight for old time sake, but I'll give you my side effects, anyway.

After waiting two years of TTTC, my Dr put me on Clomid.  The lower doses of clomid didn't work for me, but 150 mg of clomid did.  I started with 100 mg and no baby :(  Then I took two rounds of 150 mg of Clomid.  I got pregnant, then lost the baby.  Since this was my 2nd loss, the Dr put me on estrogen during the beginning of my cycles (he didn't do anything after the first loss since it could have been a fluke).  The estrogen built a thick lining for the egg to implant.  I I took a couple of months to heal and tried the 150 mg again and got pregnant on the 2nd cycle again.

My side effects were:  extreme hot flashes, night sweats, early pregnancy symptoms as well.

It takes 2 months of 150 for me.  I don't think that a lot of people get that chance.  Their doctor gives them 50 then 100 then only one month of 150.  We started with 100 then jumped to 150.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"