LGBT Parenting

Vent: Kid's Movies

I realize I might be a bit stricter than most, but what is with the language in kid's movies?? This weekend we let Sprout watch Cars - its rated G and our friends with kids around the same age rave about how much thier kids love the movie...so, i dont think twice about putting it on for him until i start hearing things like "idiot" "stupid" and "shut up" in the movie.  Tongue Tied  There was similar language in Stewart Little!  Is that really necessary?

at this rate Sprout wont be watching movies until he's 12 Zip it!

Re: Vent: Kid's Movies

• Yup. It is everywhere.  When the boys started school, they picked up so many phrases ("shut up", "shut your mouth") and words ("idiot", "dum dum", "stupid.") b/c their "friends" at school say it.  We've had to talk a LOT about how that is not appropriate language in our house and in our family we do not say those things and then dole out consequences if they continue (time out, loss of privileges, etc.) 

I do think it is ridiculous to have it in the movies and books (we've run across some books with them (which we omit.)  However, our feeling is that they'll hear it and we need to teach them what is appropriate and acceptable in our family (now if "shut up" escapes their mouths, they say, "I didn't mean to say it. I am sorry!" before they even take the next breath. LOL.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I am not looking forward to weeding out all of the garbage. 

The lack of respect, eye-rolling and snarky comments towards parents make me crazy too. Why do they feel the need to glorify that kind of behavior? The huge amount of sexual innuendo upsets me too.

My poor kids, I hope they like crafts/music/games because their time in front of the tv will be brief.

• Loading the player...
  • imageDuchess1:

My poor kids, I hope they like crafts/music/games because their time in front of the tv will be brief.

dont worry, we did a huge TV detox with Sprout and at this point he doesnt even think about it unless its on. 

• Innappropriate content in kids movies/tv is one of my top rant-worthy pet peeves, and I don't even have any actual kids yet!! LOL 

I am regularly shocked by what I see in entertainment meant for children.  You are definitely not alone!

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Im so glad that DW and I both believe that children under the age of 5 have no business watching TV. Not to knock what any one else does, just my own thoughts. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know how I will handle the language in movies, but I don't currently have television stations (tv hooked up to dvd player only) and don't see that changing. When I was growing up I thought that televisions existed only for dads to watch football.  To this day I can't do ANYTHING else if I am at a friend's house and the television is on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"