Northern California Babies
Options

amyfelice

Hey there, I figured I'd leave Alyssa's thread alone :)

I too have high lipase. My milk unless fresh tastes yucky... at least to me anyway. However, it never bothered G, so I never scalded it.

Does your lipase content bother your DD? If not, don't scald it.

I tried my best to freeze the same day I pumped, but I freeze in 5oz increments, but didn't produce in 5oz increments :) There was always an extra ounce or two that I needed to carry over. In those cases, I just would add the milk I pumped the next day and freeze then. I just always made sure to write the date of the first milk pumped, and not the second.

In terms of tossing milk, yeah, please don't! You work hard for that stuff and it's painful watching all of that hard work go down the drain :) I thought it had to be tossed too, but my LC set me straight -- she said I could just refrigerate and use at the next feeding. Since that wasn't ever more than a few hours away I wasn't worried. If I was supposed to nurse at that session though, I have G the bottle and then nursed.

Re: amyfelice

• Options
    thanks so much. Yes, it totally bothered DD. She would not drink  expressed milk at all until we figured it out, and I was freezing it immediately. It was vile, we tasted it and I almost wretched it was so gross. It tastes fine if I scald it. What I can do is scald whatever she doesn't drink and leave it in the fridge for later (maybe to use with cereal or something). That would probably kill bacteria anyway. That would prolly be ok. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Poking my nose in... I didn't have high lipase until DD was over a year old! Ava always told me how foul breastmilk tasted to her and I was like, huh? Mine is really sweet! Then one day I tasted some to see if it had gone sour and DID wretch. Holy grossness!

Luckily, DD doesn't notice, but this is problematic for me if I am going to donate again because I didn't scald and I don't know when it "turned", so to speak, so when I warn other moms I will have no details about what bags are high lipase and what aren't!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, that must be upsetting all of a sudden to have a change like that. :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"