Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

s/o vaccines

I have a cousin and his wife whom I am really close to.  They are very anti-vaccination and anti-antibiotic.  I have chosen to vaccinate my children and have had to give DS amoxicillin already when DD had H1N1. 

Anyway...my question is how do you respond to those who have such a strong view to not vaccinate.  I always feel like I am trying to stand up for myself.  They spout all these reasons not to vaccinate, which I understand.  They make me feel like I am harming my son and don't care for him.  He is a big healthy boy and I want to keep him that way. 

Sorry if this sounds like I am rambling.  I have been a little sleep deprived the past couple of days. 

Re: s/o vaccines

• Options

First I know how you feel about feeling like you HAVE to defend yourself  but you really don't have to its YOUR opinion and your choice. If someone is pushy just tell them its your child and that = your choice not theirs but thanks for the info.

On another not why did your doc give you amoxicillin for a virus?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

~*DUE MARCH 5th 2014*~

• Options

I would avoid the converstaion. 

We are doing a delayed vaccination schedule and I feel like I end up defending myself a lot to people.  I have stopped talking about it unless directly asked.

It may also be that they are so used to having to defend their own positions that they dont realize how they are making you feel when they do.  Bottom line is that parenting is different for every person and family and there should be no place for preaching or judgment. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I respond by not arguing with them.  It's their choice and not worth the stress of a debate. 
  • Options

IMO, people who do not vaccinate are ignorant. Seriously ignorant and are risking HUGE consequences. I would be very cautious around their children. Ummm what happens if their child has a serious illness that requires antibiotics, will they just let them suffer, or worse, die?

I have no advice really, it just makes me really pissed off so I had to reply to this. Good luck with this one.

• Options

One of my good friends does not vaccinate and she is also always telling these horrible things about vaccinating.  When she starts talking about it I tell her that the benefits outweigh the risk and I want my children vaccinated.

• Options

I was shocked to learn my chiropractor doesn't vaccinate.. he's very into the "natural" healing thing, though... I've just basically left it at, ok, I'll do what I want to do, and you do what you want to do.

Dealing with your cousin, however, might be a bit more difficult.. if they keep pushing their anti-interference methods, maybe just say "let's agree to disagree, because it's too late, he's been vaccinated."

• Options
    I just say, "For our family, the benefits outweigh the risks."
  • Options
    imagedragonsmercy:

I was shocked to learn my chiropractor doesn't vaccinate..

Most don't.

• Options

imageWed notdead!:
    I just say, "For our family, the benefits outweigh the risks."

This....and pray that their choices dont affect our children one day.

• Options

About giving antibiotic to DS...DD got diagnosed with H1N1 a couple of days later DS had a few of the symptoms.  Our doctor felt it was better to treat him since he was so young. 

My cousin is also a chiropractor and I was seeing him for awhile.  I actually stopped going to him because I was tired of him telling me to not take certain meds.  

• Options

I would say that just like they feel they made the best decision for their family, you also feel that you made the best decision for your family.  I would also add that you aren't willing to budge on your decision so debating it really serves no purpose. 

I personally feel that not vaccinating is extremely selfish and would be cautious about having my child around theirs. 

• Options

A lot of people in this area do alternative vaccinations schedules and look at me like I have two heads when I say we're following the pedi's usual schedule.  I just don't bring it up unless asked directly, and then just tell them that it's what is right for us.  Usually they will drop the subject (and talk amongst themselves later, probably, but I don't really care).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageredheadedmama:

About giving antibiotic to DS...DD got diagnosed with H1N1 a couple of days later DS had a few of the symptoms.  Our doctor felt it was better to treat him since he was so young. 

My cousin is also a chiropractor and I was seeing him for awhile.  I actually stopped going to him because I was tired of him telling me to not take certain meds.  

H1N1 is a virus that can't be treated with antibiotics. I'm still confused why a doc would give you antibiotics.

• Options
    imagetsoyster:
    imageredheadedmama:

H1N1 is a virus that can't be treated with antibiotics. I'm still confused why a doc would give you antibiotics.

There is no way antibiotics can treat anythign viral. This is why because get MRSA or VRE

~*DUE MARCH 5th 2014*~

• Options
    imageredheadedmama:

This is a great example of why people are against the overuse of antibiotics.

• Options
    imageAZAudiGirl:
    imageredheadedmama:

Right? lol This whole thread is just so ironic.

• Options
    Sorry my mistake.  He was given Tamiflu not an antibiotic.
  • Options
    I say "we feel that the benefits outweigh the risks."
  • Options
    imagetsoyster:
    imageredheadedmama:

i was gonna say the same... over use of antibiotics have caused its own set of problems!

• Options
    imageALittleBirdy:
    imageAZAudiGirl:
    imageredheadedmama:

Confused 

OP, it's unfortunate that you feel as if you have to defend yourself against some truly misguided views.  Frankly, I think it should be YOU giving THEM the lecture.

• Options
    imageToledoDeux:
    imageALittleBirdy:
    imageAZAudiGirl:
    imageredheadedmama:

Confused 

OP, it's unfortunate that you feel as if you have to defend yourself against some truly misguided views.  Frankly, I think it should be YOU giving THEM the lecture.

Really? Could you explain to me how one would benefit from an antibiotic in the case of H1N1? Maybe I am missing something?

Granted, she revised to state that the doctor had actually given her LO Tamiflu. 

ETA: Straight from the Mayo Clinic:

"Inappropriate use of antibiotics has helped create strains of bacterial disease that are resistant to treatment with different types of antibiotic medications."

• Options
    imageAZAudiGirl:
    imageToledoDeux:
    imageALittleBirdy:
    imageAZAudiGirl:
    imageredheadedmama:

Confused 

Really? Could you explain to me how one would benefit from an antibiotic in the case of H1N1? Maybe I am missing something?

Granted, she revised to state that the doctor had actually given her LO Tamiflu. 

"Inappropriate use of antibiotics has helped create strains of bacterial disease that are resistant to treatment with different types of antibiotic medications."

You misunderstood my post.  I don't need the Mayo Clinic info, thanks.

• Options
    imageToledoDeux:
    imageAZAudiGirl:
    imageToledoDeux:
    imageALittleBirdy:
    imageAZAudiGirl:
    imageredheadedmama:

Confused 

You misunderstood my post.  I don't need the Mayo Clinic info, thanks.

Would you mind explaining what part I misunderstood? Or what part of my view is misguided?

• Options
    imageAZAudiGirl:

Would you mind explaining what part I misunderstood? Or what part of my view is misguided?

You'll notice that I was quoting JCM (ALittleBirdy).  I already know her views on vaccines, and we do not agree.   I noticed that she was quick to jump on this post and point out some kind of "irony," and I was making a little face about it.

I know that antibiotics do not treat viral illnesses.  But again, thanks loads for bothering to look up some Mayo Clinic info for me.

I don't know what your views are about any of this....but I do believe that those who do not vaccinate their children are seriously misguided.

OK?

• Options
    imageToledoDeux:
    imageAZAudiGirl:

You'll notice that I was quoting JCM (ALittleBirdy).  I already know her views on vaccines, and we do not agree.   I noticed that she was quick to jump on this post and point out some kind of "irony," and I was making a little face about it.

I know that antibiotics do not treat viral illnesses.  But again, thanks loads for bothering to look up some Mayo Clinic info for me.

I don't know what your views are about any of this....but I do believe that those who do not vaccinate their children are seriously misguided.

OK?

Fair enough. Maybe next time you should edit out the people you are not quoting. I also was not making any comments in regards to vaccines.

• Options

My FIL is very anti-vaccine.  We just don't talk with him about it.  However, he understands that DH and I are the parents and we do what we feel is right.  He is very supportive and stays out of it.  We are lucky.

However, MIL and FIL are the guardians if anything happens to us.  We explained to them that if in the event they need to take our son, it is our wish that they continue on a regular vaccination schedule. 

My advice is to just avoid the conversation.  You are doing what you think is right for YOUR child, and that is what is important.  

• Options
    I honestly just make sure they understand that each parent is welcome to their opinions, and our choice is to vaccinate. We also chose what to have DS vaccinated against.
  • Options
    I am all about people parenting the best way they see fit. However, their choice of not vaccinating could have major consequences for my daughter, therefore, you are darn right I will say something about it and criticize those that do not.
  • Options

Ugh, I know how you feel.

My uncle is nuts and totally against vaccinating.  He sent me this long rambling e mail telling me not to vaccinate Keeley.  He also sent me all these websites to look at and a waiver to give to my doctor to sign stating that the shots he has don't contain thimerosal.  He is insane.

I just told him thanks for the info and I'd look into everything.  He later apologized about it. 

• Options
    imageAZAudiGirl:
    imageToledoDeux:
    imageAZAudiGirl:

OK?

Fair enough. Maybe next time you should edit out the people you are not quoting. I also was not making any comments in regards to vaccines.

Toledo, We DO differ on this issue,but as you will notice I also was not making any comments about vaccines either b/c there is no point here. I just thought it was odd the OP was worried about people who are not for over using antibiotics and then goes on to say (before she corrected it) that her baby was given them for a virus.... It WAS ironic.

• Options

imageJuleslovescats:
    I am all about people parenting the best way they see fit. However, their choice of not vaccinating could have major consequences for my daughter, therefore, you are darn right I will say something about it and criticize those that do not.

Are YOU vaccinated? And by vaccinated, I mean have you had boosters for all the childhood immunizations? Because like it or not, vaccines do not confer lifetime immunity. So if YOU aren't up to date on all of your adult boosters, YOU are likely more of a "threat" to your child's health than some random unvaccinated kid on the playground. 

• Options

For the OP: your cousin is likely trying to pass on information because most parents do not do their own research into vaccination. They simply accept the current CDC recommended vaccine schedule without really thinking about it or even understanding what is being given at each appointment.

If you've done your own research and are comfortable with your decision to vaccinate, I'd tell your cousin that and firmly but politely state that the subject is not up for debate or discussion. Hopefully your relative will get the message and back off.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"