Parenting after 35

Any suggestions for baby essentials? What products do you love?

Hi! I figured you're all busy using various baby things. I have to register (it seems people are planning showers..), and I don't know what to ask for - ds is 4 yo and I'm sure there's new baby stuff out there that I don't know about..

So, what do you have that you love? What would you recommend?

Thanks!

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness

Re: Any suggestions for baby essentials? What products do you love?

• 3 very important items when my baby was born:

1) medela sterlizing bags

2) swaddle me blankets (she STTN at  6 weeks)

3) the FP vibrating seat for naps and so I could take a shower!

• Boppy, of course...  the fisher-price seahorse, the sleep sheep... Sophie and the winkel, for when the baby starts to play... we have this bouncer, which is nice and simple:

https://www.thinkgeek.com/geek-kids/newborn-infant/b55b/

The bum genius dipes are supposed to be really nice if you're using cloth, the pampers swaddlers if you're not.  Hmmm... 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Everything Moiselle and Peppernut have said, plus burp cloths.
    1. Fisher Price "calming vibrations" seat
    2. Diaper Genie Elite
    3. Dr. Brown's bottles
    4. Burp clothes
    5. Large receiving blankets (good for swaddling)

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • -FP Precious Planet mobile (wish they made this for adults)

-car mirrow w/ music & remote control (a must!)

-Inglesina hook-on high chair (no more germy restaurant high chairs)  We just got it and we already love it!

i'm sure i'll think of more ....

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aquaphor

Gerber cloth diapers for burpy cloths

BRU flannel pads for diaper changing time

Munchkin formula 3-compartment dispensers (works for little snacks, too)

• I guess everyone likes different things. The Boppy has been pretty useless for us, and I think wipes warmers are not necessary either.

But I love:

Avent electric sterilizer
    Avent bottle warmer
    Playtex diaper genie Elite
    Kiddopotamus Swaddle Me swaddle
    Halo sleep sacks
    crib mobile
    Pampers Swaddlers
    Pampers Sensitive wipes
    Dr Browns bottles
    flat cloth diapers to use as burp cloths
    Snap 'n go stroller frame
    Graco Snugride 32 car seat
    baby swing
    baby bouncy seat (although our LO has outgrown it already)
    activity gym
    pajama sleepers with zippers
    Sony baby monitor (sound only)
    Johnson & Johnson Bedtime wash and lotion
    small iPod player to play lullabies in baby's room
    unbreakable mirror
    onesies

I'm sure there's more but those are the things we can't live without.

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • people have covered alot of it but one thing I didn't see that I LOVED was the gowns. They are so great in the beginning for changing diapers!

• A few things that were totally useful when DD was little:

• Baby Bjoern 
    • Snuzzler
    • Swaddle me
    • Snap N go
    • Swing
    • Bouncy chair
    • Play mat
    • Sleep and Play outfits (that's still all DD wears all day and night, so convenient and comfortable)

What I got but we got no use of:

• Boppy
    • Sling
    • Pack N Play
    • Onesies 
    • Socks
    • Shoes
    • 'Grown up' outfits (ie sweaters, shirts, shorts, skirts, pants)

• Target has a 10% completion coupon and it's good for EVERYTHING in the store.  So if you have a super target near you, it's good for groceries too -- even beer.  I put a lot of stuff on there for DD as well that I didn't think would go on sale and stuff for me like lotion, detergent, OTC meds.

As for baby essentials, vaseline (great general purpose, including diaper creme), aquaphor, triple paste (for those really bad rashes), infant tylenol, motrin, thermometer, vibrating bouncy seat, lingerie/sweater wash bags (for baby socks, mittens, etc.), cloth diapers for burp cloths, bibs, lanisoh lanolin, socks, gas drops, Hylands teething tablets, Nuby sippy cups, snack traps.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Everyone has mostly said it all but I wanted to put in another word for the Kiddopotamus Swaddle Mes -- totally life savers.  We also got a lot of use out of the Graco Soothing Center (swing that goes in both directions, you can use the seat it comes with, which also has a vibrate function, or snap in the Snugride car seat, has lots of music, but you can plug in an mp3 player as well).  Also, if you have a two story house, the Pack and Play is great to have downstairs as a changing station as well as a place to lay your LO down. 

I really like the wipes warmer, although I know a lot of people think they are useless.  But those wipes can be COLD.

ETA:  How could I forget?  For me, the video monitor is an absolute essential.  We have the one by Summer with the smaller screen, 1.8 inches.

• Wow! Thank you, ladies. These lists are super-helpful! Much appreciated!
    2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"