Baby Showers
Options

In law invites -- WDYT?

I am only inviting 15 of my close girlfriends to my shower.  My mother lives across the country and will not be attending and my extended family is also out of state.  Other than my sister (who is hosting with a friend), none of my family will be present for it.  Where I am stumped is what to do about my in laws. DH wants me to invite five in-laws. Can I get away with inviting no inlaws (including MIL and SIL) since none of my family will be there and say I had a shower for friends only or just act as if had no shower?  The obvious reason I don't want to invite them is because it will be more fun with just friends.  Other reasons are that I have to drive about 30 minutes in the opposite direction of the shower to pick them up, and then an hour from their house to bring them, and then drive them home; both will require my constant attention on them because of alzheimers (MIL) and similar health problems due to stroke for SIL which means little time to spend with other guests.  The other three inlaws DH wants invited are aunts and a cousin who are close with MIL but who would still need a ride but who would then be able to help care for MIL and SIL.  If DH's family brings it up, I thought he could suggest a small family only shower instead. I feel very guilty and selfish about this idea so my hunch is that I am in the wrong, but I'd appreciate other opinions.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: In law invites -- WDYT?

• Options

I'm sure it isn't 'right' but I think it is OK to have a party with your friends without your parents/in-laws.

Perhaps you and DH could have them over for a little family party to welcome the baby? I wouldn't leave them out completely but I would do something separate with them.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hmm...well if they don't already know you're having a shower and wouldn't find out otherwise, I wouldn't worry about inviting them if it's friends only.  For instance, my cousin mentioned throwing us a couples' shower/game night, in which case I wouldn't invite all family, just couples our age, because that's the nature of the party.  To those not invited, you could call your shower a "girls' luncheon" or something, so their feelings are less likely to be hurt.

If this is your only shower and you'll have some older people there anyway, then invite them IF DH or someone else is willing to do all the driving.  I don't think it makes sense for the person the party is thrown for to have to drive all over the place picking up guests, so if none of them can drive themselves or get a ride from someone else, then maybe they have to miss out.  GL with whatever you decide.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm usually the first to say that you absolutely need to invite the ILs, but in this case I'll say no.  You shouldn't be babysitting at your shower.  I like the idea of a small get together to meet baby after its born.
  • Options
    Make sure that your shower invite list is friends only.  Then, maybe suggest to DH that you have a planned gathering after the baby arrives to include your inlaws and let them know about that "party".  You should not be responsible for them at your shower...you will have plenty of other things that you will be doing.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagerobinsokj:
    I'm usually the first to say that you absolutely need to invite the ILs, but in this case I'll say no.  You shouldn't be babysitting at your shower.  I like the idea of a small get together to meet baby after its born.
    Well said, and I agree. 

My family member with Alzheimer's gets very disoriented when leaving familiar surroundings; it's upsetting for her and puts her anxiety through the roof.  As much as your MIL may want to celebrate the baby, it could be difficult for her to be at a social event on unfamiliar ground where she doesn't know anyone. 

I think a small get-together with your DH's side of the family would be entirely appropriate.

• Options
    I would have a separate shower for DH's side of the fam. You should go to them, not drive all over creation to bring them to you.
    Expect MIRACLES!! Shocking surprise BFP 9/12/12 After 2 IUIs, 3 IVFs w/ICSI and 1 FET we have been blessed with a healthy baby girl born 26 August 2010! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I agree- this is definitely an exception.  Your DH should NOT be expecting you to be driving his family all over for YOUR shower, and then putting it on YOU to "babysit" them.  You should absolutely be able to sit back and enjoy the shower as the guest of honor.

Who is hosting the shower?  Perhaps ask them if you can "throw them under the bus" and tell DH that the host can only accomodate 15 people. And/or that the host wants it 'friends only'.

NO host should ever have to host more than they can accomodate.

As said- if your DH really wants to do something w/ his family, you can throw a "Meet the Baby" party after the baby is born.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I agree. I'm usually all about inclusion; but at the same time--you shouldn't have to worry about baby sitting and taking care of your guests during your own shower. This sounds like my IL's who want to be driven all over the place. Maybe don't bring it up at all--and if DH insists, do the meet the baby after the shower.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Like the others said, this sounds like the exception proving the rule.  You should certainly not be expected to drive around and pick everyone up, and given the circumstances I think it's OK if the hosts don't invite your IL's.  Since DH wants them invited, I'd be preemptive and offer to have a small, family only meet and greet after the baby arrives with his family, where either he went and picked them all up and brought them to your house or you took the baby to meet them somewhere central to their location.

• Options
    I agree with pam1005's idea.  Just make sure you DO plan a gathering after baby is born.  Is your mom coming to visit after baby is born?  If so, maybe you could do it during that time.
  • Options
    I had to invite all the inlaws [cousins, aunts, etc.] to my wedding shower even though only my mom and grandma came into town for my shower. It's annoying but what can you really do about it?
  • Options
    I wouldn't feel guilty at all. You can just say that your sister and a friend are throwing a party for you and your friends. If he wants IL there, he should mention to them about having a small one for the family. I think he's being selfish asking you to include IL when the rest of the people there are your friends. So you have to keep IL entertained as well as keep up with your friends? Nope.
  • Options
    In this case I don't think it is rude to no invite the ILs. Just tell DH that while you would love to have them attend there really isn't anyone available to help you care for them. Tell him it isn't that you don't want them it is just that it is inappropriate to expect your hosts to help with your families personal medical needs and that as the guest of honor it would really take away from your day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"