1st Trimester

Sick!

Hey Ladies,

I am 9 weeks along and have come down with a nasty cold. I don't have insurance atm and I know they can't do much for me. The main problem is the congestion. I am having terrible sinus pain. I start school Tuesday as well and since I can't take medicine to help, I am worried. What do you all do when sick and pregnant? I used saline today to try and help clear out my nasal passages and hopefully prevent it from getting worse, but I don't know what to do about the pain, or the coughing. Any tips?

Thanks!

Re: Sick!

• If it's truly a cold, there isn't a whole lot to be done.  If you feel comfortable taking medicine, plain Sudafed is on the safe list.  But you have to ask the pharmacist for it - it isn't any of the boxes in the aisles - those aren't plain. Otherwise, tea with lemon/honey, sit in a steamy bathroom, Vicks and saline!

There's a really bad cold going around at my work and we've all suffered with it for 2+ weeks but we've all been told the same thing by different doctors - it's just a cold and there's nothing to be done but let it run its course.  Feel better! 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• True. I know I can't get rid of the cold. I am just wondering if I can take anything to help alleviate symptoms. The congestion is terrible but I don't want to take anything that will harm the baby. I have read that Benadryl and Tylenol cold are safe but I am skeptical.
  • Loading the player...
  • I got a cold on Thursday. I took Tylenol for the sore throat, and have been drinking hot tea. I also bought a humidifier, which I think has helped. Plus, lots and lots of fluids and rest as much as you can.

I hope you start feeling better! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just battled a brutal sinus infection.  I'm also nursing so I can't take any decongestants whether or not they're OK for pregnancy because none of them are OK for nursing (they dry up your milk supply).  I was intimidated by it but I finally tried a netti pot (got mine at Walgreens).  It worked great!  It really loosened up all the mucus in my head.  I'd do one side, stop, blow my nose, do the other side, stop, blow my nose - continued on like this until I emptied the pot.  I did notice that if I was pouring from a less congested side to a more congested side, the solution tended to go down into my throat and into my mouth - this wasn't very pleasant, but I was kind of ready for it, so it was easy enough not to swallow any of it and just let it come out my mouth.  It all sounds gross, I know, but it really did help.

When you blow your nose, if it's greenish or yellowish, you likely have a sinus infection.  Sometimes you really do need antibiotics to fight them (unfortunately).  I started to get a fever for my sinus infection and that's when I decided that it was time for antibiotics - figured that was better than risking a high fever while pregnant.  They gave me amoxicillin.

I hope you feel better.  I know I was MISERABLE!!  The extra mucus you're making because you're pregnant certainly doesn't help matters.

• Sudafed is actually NOT safe.  It is a class C drug which means animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans.

I just got over a cold with horrible congestion.  I got a great humidifier and used Vicks. 

GL, and feel better. =(

• Yeah I have heard Sudafed isn't good. I have read that Benadryl and Tylenol Cold are though. I am just scared. Before I got pregnant I had really bad insomnia and was taking Ambien nightly, I am not trying not to take it much anymore but I can't get any sleep. Now that I am sick it just makes it worse, so I am not getting the rest I need nor do I know what I can take to alleviate this harsh symptoms. Benadryl would probably help me fall asleep, but again I am scared.

I got the NeilMed Sinus Rinse, same makers of the neti pot. Instead of it being a pot it's a bottle that you squeeze so pretty similar. I have tried putting a warm compress on my face for the pain, I went through a box if tissues within a few hours. I just want some relief =(

• I'm also sicker than sick, and had asked the same question on a different board... The responses were......

A spoon full of honey. Gargle hot water and salt. A Neti Pot (CVS). Hot water and Lemon. You shouldn't be drinking tea, unless it's caffeine free.

• My doctor told me sudafed in the plain red box is ok to take.  There is nothing barely in there that will help! I used it, but it's not like regular cold medicine where you can breathe.  I took it twice a day for 3 days I think - and used the saline nasal spray. 
  • I ended up taking 1 benadryl last night, it gave didn't do much but a little bit of of a relief was better than nothing.

Man, this cold is brutal!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"