Austin Babies
Options

Recommend your (cheap!) laptop

After about 5 years and countless upgrades, my laptop is finally giving out on me. Old girl has done me well, but I think it's time to move on rather than spend more money on her.

I need a desktop replacement, and "all" I need to do with it run Quickbooks, iTunes (my library is remote), Microsoft Office, Adobe Design Premium CS3, and fast internet.

DH and I haven't discussed a budget yet, but I know that a Mac isn't in there (even though that's what I really wanted next, boohoo). We just replaced a bunch of stuff on here in the past 6 mos, so we thought it would last longer and weren't planning on this.

Soo... what do you have that has served you well? Or any rec's to a good website that can make rec's based on what I need?

Re: Recommend your (cheap!) laptop

• Options
    I recently bought a Dell Vostro 1520.  There was one I was warned against from Dell, but I can't remember the name of it now.  I think I have the email saved at work, so I'll check tomorrow.  I like the Vostro, although it isn't perfect as far as stability.  But it's lightweight and small and does what I need it to do.  And it's red, which I love :)
  • Options
    I have a Lenovo Y550.  We purchased through IBM's employee purchase program.  I am about to buy two more for my kids.  Let me know if that is what you decide on, we would be happy to order it for you at the discounted price.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We also just bought an HP from Best Buy a coupe of months ago, for like $500-$600 (sorry, not sure of the model).  Its great and would do everything you need.  The only thing I don't like about it is that the battery doesn't last as long as I expected.
  • Options

Even though they are an Austin company, I probably would not buy a Dell right now. I've heard horror stories about their customer service lately - over Christmas, people who ordered computers ended up getting cards that said, "This is the computer we are going to send you!" because they were backlogged.

We have a Vostro 1510 we bought last christmas, and I HATE it. Some of the keys don't always work, the mouse is extremely annoying, the battery completely crapped out on us like 1 week after our one year warranty expired (as in, the battery doesn't work AT ALL), so, every time we want to move & unplug the laptop we have to completely reboot. And to top things off, the place where the power cord plugs into the laptop is super loose, and the plug will often just fall out if we just move the stupid computer like 1/2 an inch, which is soooo frustrating because we'll be in the middle of doing something and have to reboot! And yes, we ordered a new battery - 3 weeks ago, and Dell keeps sending us email saying "whoops, your shipmenst is delayed! whoops, it's delayed again!"

Can you tell I'm annoyed?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageMainer-in-Texas:

Even though they are an Austin company, I probably would not buy a Dell right now. I've heard horror stories about their customer service lately - over Christmas, people who ordered computers ended up getting cards that said, "This is the computer we are going to send you!" because they were backlogged.

We have a Vostro 1510 we bought last christmas, and I HATE it. Some of the keys don't always work, the mouse is extremely annoying, the battery completely crapped out on us like 1 week after our one year warranty expired (as in, the battery doesn't work AT ALL), so, every time we want to move & unplug the laptop we have to completely reboot. And to top things off, the place where the power cord plugs into the laptop is super loose, and the plug will often just fall out if we just move the stupid computer like 1/2 an inch, which is soooo frustrating because we'll be in the middle of doing something and have to reboot! And yes, we ordered a new battery - 3 weeks ago, and Dell keeps sending us email saying "whoops, your shipmenst is delayed! whoops, it's delayed again!"

Can you tell I'm annoyed?

I ordered mine in November and it took about a month longer than it was supposed to, which I've heard is typical.  If you are in a hurry, I wouldn't order a Dell directly from them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"