Upstate NY Babies

RSV

Two of my friend's babies just got RSV.. it sounds really scary.  The one baby has been in the hospital for 2 days and is really struggling, my heart goes out to them and I can't imagine dealing with it.

So is this going around a lot?  I couldn't remember if this was something DD is vaccinated for?  I'm wondering if it is something we opted out of with my last DD because she isn't in daycare, or if there is even a vaccine.

Re: RSV

• There is no current vaccination for RSV for just normal babies.  There is Synagis, which is for preemies and high risk lung patients. 

It's contagious and almost every child gets it by the time they are 2.  I think it's how your immune system is at the time you catch it that is the main issue.  

• Charlie had it last year & was hospitalized with it. It IS scary! It usually only really affects kids with lung problems though.
    Photobucket
    Charlie 11.01.07 ~ Paul 05.07.10 ~ Annaliese 02.24.12
  • Loading the player...
  • From what I know about it, it is pretty common for babies to get it before they're two, and it varies for everyone as far as how bad it gets.  Gavin had it last January at 9 months, and he was miserable but he didn't get it bad enough to be hospitalized.
  • I know I'm not on much, but DS just got over RSV. I had brought him in the second day of his  cold symptoms and he tested positive. He had a congested throat (with purr) for 18 days and there was nothing they could do for him. I caught a cold too, and my symptoms were 17 days. I think it sucked the most because neither of us could take any medicine so we were just drowning in mucus. We spent the first weekend in bed mostly, he'd sleep 10 hours at night, and then a 3-3.5 hour nap, that's a lot for him. We just got over it this weekend. The humidifier did not seem to help at all. When we skipped a night we felt the same as we did all the nights we ran it.
  • Ok this is all really scaring me! I have never heard of RSV before this. T has had a very bad cough for 3 weeks now...and sound like a cat (purring) when she breaths. She also sounds very wheezy at times. To us she seems like she?s getting better not worse.  When she first came down with the cough we took her to the Dr. twice in the same week. They checked her lungs, and her ears and said both looked/sounded good, and she hasn?t run a fever so they said it?s just a cough that has to run its course. I called again last week to ask the nurse and they told us unless she?s had a fever for 3 days or more and/or is wheezing to the point where it seems had for her to get air than it?s again probably just a viral cough which can last 3 weeks. DH and I both got sick with the same thing (cough and just feeling horrible) this weekend and spent yesterday in bed the whole day. We had to call DH?s Aunt to come over to watch T for us yesterday so we could rest. Should we insist that she be seen again? Could it be RSV even though she doesn?t have a fever? Is there a test for it
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"