Breastfeeding
Options

Those who supplement...partial vent.

I know that it depends on your supply, but how do you know when your LO has had enough of the formula or EBM after the breast? My mom is driving me nuts about "give that baby a bottle!" I thought she ate well earlier and gave her the suggested (well almost - hardly off at all) 1 1/2 oz. to supplement. Mind you this suggestion is from the LC. She is colicky and I think she has reflux, both of which my mom knows. But when she wouldn't settle down, I guess, she gave her another ounce. I don't want my kid over-eating! If she's hungry, fine. But lets try EVERYTHING else, especially if she has already eaten. Ugh. I love my mom, and I know she just doesn't get this breastfeeding thing, but was she rooting? Was she chewing on her hands? Was she smacking? I don't know, but if not, please just bounce her.

So anyway what are your cues to know when LO has had enough?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Those who supplement...partial vent.

• Options
    I don't know, but I can empathize - my mom is the exact same way!  It makes it so hard to keep up BFing...  GL to you - hope you get some good answers to help sort outy this problem! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't EBF, I EP and have to supplement with formula
    (due to supply issues), but I can tell you that DS would take an 8 oz bottle if I gave it to him and then subsequently spit it all up as his stomach couldn't hold that much. I think it's a combination of him really liking to suck and just not realizing that he's full yet. He roots, smacks his lips, and sticks out his tongue after every feeding. I give him his bottle (4 oz) and then give him a pacifier after I burp him. He settles right down, which tells me that he's no longer hungry. I have only upped the amount that I've given him when the time between his feedings got repeatedly shorter or he was still hungry after trying the pacifier. Hope that helps.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Well, sometimes she will be satisfied with the paci, but then a few minutes later she won't want it anymore. I'm just afraid that my mom is giving it to her without her really being hungry. Thank you so much, it does help.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I tell my mom, etc. that she would eat through 10 bottles and throw them all back up, so that is why we only do 2 ounces at a time.  If she yells and screams and pokes her tongue out post-bottle-burp-pacifier-snuggle, then we go for a another round.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I really wouldn't worry about overeating, not if it's just a one time thing (if your mom is your childcare, then I might start worrying a little).

But typically if you give a baby too much, it just spits it all back out. This has been true with both my kids, and it's true even when it's straight from the boob too - I would offer a boob to DD when she was cranky... and she'd take it... and then urp all over me. Fantastic times.

- Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"