Special Needs
Options

annoyed

i find myself getting annoyed at stupid little comments lately.  someone posted on facebook that they found it hilarious their youth group prayed that their baby would not be born deformed. 

do the little things like that eventually not bug you?  or will they always annoy on some level?

Re: annoyed

• Options
    They bug me. Everything bugs me lately. I'm so sensitive about my son. And I guess I'm realizing too, that people don't understand what it's like to deal with a child who is 'different'. That's why they say things like that. And why they look at us funny when we are out somewhere around "normal" kids.
  • Options

When I see pregnant women I just want to scream. "Be prepared in case your baby is not perfect!!"  I think it is jealousy rearing it's ugly head.

When I was going back and forth to NICU there was a lady the came on the elevator at the hospital. I noticed she had a baby present. She saw I had already selected the 3rd floor and said "It's such a happy floor" I just smiled at her. I really just wanted to reply "Not for everyone"

Since it is not obvious on the outside that Nate has issues, one of our friends we haven't told noticed how good he was and how quiet his cry is. "Wow!" he said. "You guys are sooo lucky to have a quiet, well behaved baby. Our two were always screaming their heads off." I just smiled on the outside and cried on the inside.

I think I just have to get used to smiling on the outside. **hugs to everyone**

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That bothers me, too.  It's insensitive, not compassionate, and a bit ironic as the subject of a "prayer." 
  • Options
    imageAssembly_Reqd:

When I see pregnant women I just want to scream. "Be prepared in case your baby is not perfect!!"  I think it is jealousy rearing it's ugly head.

When I was going back and forth to NICU there was a lady the came on the elevator at the hospital. I noticed she had a baby present. She saw I had already selected the 3rd floor and said "It's such a happy floor" I just smiled at her. I really just wanted to reply "Not for everyone"

Since it is not obvious on the outside that Nate has issues, one of our friends we haven't told noticed how good he was and how quiet his cry is. "Wow!" he said. "You guys are sooo lucky to have a quiet, well behaved baby. Our two were always screaming their heads off." I just smiled on the outside and cried on the inside.

I think I just have to get used to smiling on the outside. **hugs to everyone**

your son is so beautiful!  i'm not familiar with his story. ((hugs)) to you too.

• Options

I would post back "Would you find it hilarious if your baby was born deformed?" Please tell me the "deformed" word was the facebook posters word and not actually what was said in the prayer?

If someone prayed for my baby not to be deformed I would be praying for their deformed notions of how to be tactful.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options

your son is so beautiful!  i'm not familiar with his story. ((hugs)) to you too.

See ACC-Mommy post below :)

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options
    imageAssembly_Reqd:

See ACC-Mommy post below :)

wow that must be so overwhelming.  thank you for sharing.

• Options
    imageAssembly_Reqd:

I would post back "Would you find it hilarious if your baby was born deformed?" Please tell me the "deformed" word was the facebook posters word and not actually what was said in the prayer?

If someone prayed for my baby not to be deformed I would be praying for their deformed notions of how to be tactful.

ugh i'm struggling, i so want to post something but i feel like that's counterproductive.

• Options

Ya, it probably is counterproductive.

Vent away here. I have always find the Bump very therapeutic.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options

I'm not annoyed yet, but maybe I will be...mostly I think people just hope their kids come out typical, and I really wished for the same thing, and even prayed my baby would have no complications. Unfortunately, that isn't in my cards, but if I could change it I would.  

I mostly feel jealous of women who get to have typical pregnancies with typical test results and typical outcomes.  I try not to feel so jealous, but I have a hard time controlling it.  I know I would not feel any better if they were facing what I am facing, but sometimes it is so hard to know we will be different.

• Options

I just wanted to point out that my DD was born without any physically noticeable "problems". We didn't know she even had issues until she started missing milestones at like 15/16 months. So, I hope this mom is prepared because you just never, ever know and some problems don't surface until the child is older.

I had to sit and listen to my 16 year old cousin call his sister retarded in a joking way last night. His mother, my aunt by marriage, didn't say a word to correct him. I had a word in mind I wanted to call him, but I walked away before I let loose. Ignorance sometimes astounds me.

• Options

Since it is ok to vent here, may I?

It really bothers me - all these comments, the gross mis-use of the word 'retarded', comments about my son (oh, and especially when they hear his DX and say - really? no way! he looks so normal), seeing typical kids that easily do what we have been working so hard on. I have days when I cry and curse and cannot get myself to stop. There are days when I am so numb, that you could hit me with a hammer and I would not feel a thing. There are days when I want to punch someone for their comments so hard, that I actually have to physically bite my lip. Oh, and prayers! My son does not need prayers, but some $$ to pay for private ABA (not covered by insurance or anything else) would be really nice.

Argggggh....Thank you, this feels better.

• Options
    imageSobachka:

Since it is ok to vent here, may I?

It really bothers me - all these comments, the gross mis-use of the word 'retarded', comments about my son (oh, and especially when they hear his DX and say - really? no way! he looks so normal), seeing typical kids that easily do what we have been working so hard on. I have days when I cry and curse and cannot get myself to stop. There are days when I am so numb, that you could hit me with a hammer and I would not feel a thing. There are days when I want to punch someone for their comments so hard, that I actually have to physically bite my lip. Oh, and prayers! My son does not need prayers, but some $$ to pay for private ABA (not covered by insurance or anything else) would be really nice.

Argggggh....Thank you, this feels better.

HUGS

I can one up you on the Prayers :) Try having your mom start a freakin' prayer chain by calling ALL the relatives and everyone she plays bridge with and telling them about your son's brain problem. Her goal is to pray for  a "miracle" so some Father Baker can get cannonized. I am not turning down the prayers, but having to shout out to the world about my baby's brain is going too far IMO. Whatev. It's her way of feeling she can help.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"