Cleveland Babies

when to

when is a good time to start researching daycare options?  are the waiting lists more than a year long around here?

Re: when to

• depends on where you are looking...when I was pregnant the first time, i started looking in my first trimester and there were some places that told me there was a wait list for two years later!  I don't even understand how that could be possible unless people were putting their names on lists prior to getting pregnant, but whatever. 

it seems like a lot of daycares now are pretty low in numbers due to the economy and people being out of work.  however, infant room ratios are much lower than toddler or preschool room ratios, so there are often limited spots.  if i were you, I'd start looking now.  

• We started looking really early - like late summer/early fall 2009 - only b/c it was really overwhelming to me and I just wanted to get a jump start on it.  Plus everyone warned us not to wait too long.  But the daycares all said we were WAY ahead of the game (which they like!) and that we would just need to commit by December or January (for a June daycare start).  

GL!

Me-38, DH - 48 | DD born 3/17/10 | BFP 4/29/11 - M/C 5/31/11 Blighted Ovum | BFP 12/18/11 CP - 12/27/11 | Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just started last week.  I figured it's never too early, especially if there are waiting lists!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

DD: 6/21/10
    DS: 10/11/14
  • imageblushado:

depends on where you are looking...when I was pregnant the first time, i started looking in my first trimester and there were some places that told me there was a wait list for two years later!  I don't even understand how that could be possible unless people were putting their names on lists prior to getting pregnant, but whatever. 

it seems like a lot of daycares now are pretty low in numbers due to the economy and people being out of work.  however, infant room ratios are much lower than toddler or preschool room ratios, so there are often limited spots.  if i were you, I'd start looking now.  

All very true. I worked in a daycare for six years until recently and we had to move into a bigger building since the numbers were so high but recently, with the economy, people just are not putting their children in daycare like they use to.

There are usually some type of waiting list (depending how nice of a place it is, to be completely honest). It is best to check within six months of your due date if you want a quality place.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"