Stay at Home Moms
Options

To those planning to leave their jobs (or did so recently)

Hi!  I am planning to stay home with our baby (due in August).  I make a good salary - actually more than my husband.  It feels a little strange to me to be giving up a job voluntarily when the job market is so bad.  I don't know exactly why that is.  I do tend to worry about everything and be a worst case scenario type of person.  We can afford for us to do this, certainly for the next several years at least.  My husband works in healthcare so he does have the kind of job where he could work additional hours or probably work an evening or a sat. at a 2nd job if need be.  It just feels odd to be giving up a good job.  Does anyone else feel anything like this?
TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: To those planning to leave their jobs (or did so recently)

• Options
    I felt the same. I actually went back to work for 2 months after my maternity leave because I felt bad giving up my job. During the 2 months I really missed my son and started to feel stupid because I went back to work eventhough we can afford for me to stay home. Anyway it's my first week home with my little guy and I am really enjoying it. I know it's the best for him and me and look forward to spending many precious moments with him. :-) 
  • Options
    I'm staying at home and really felt like I wanted to go back becasue of the economy,but the more I'm home I realize that he will never be this age again and if I go back I would miss the closeness that we have now.It takes a while to get used to it is truly rewarding
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I feel the same way!  It is an odd feeling and you worry whether there will be something good when you go back! 

I'm still not settled into staying at home!!  Its going to take me a little while!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I felt the same way.

I'm a lawyer, and I left a firm job in BigLaw.  The kind of jobs people are killing for right now.  I did have a part of me that wondered if I was crazy, but I decided that I couldn't let the fact that I happened to have a baby in a bad economy change the decision that DH and I had been working towards for years.

It might help you feel better to drop down to part time first?  That way you still have your hand in the job market just in case.

DH and I feel pretty comfortable with the decision because the chances of DH losing his job are very, very slim.  Anything can happen, of course, but I can't really picture a scenario where he wouldn't be employed.

I also plan to start trying to teach law part time at some point in the not too distant furture.  It won't make much money (especially in comparison to my former job), but it will make it so I don't have such a big gap on my resume.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • Options
    Yep, I made as much as DH and it almost felt selfish to give that up. I mean we can afford it but it still seemed like I should be saving all that money for the kids. The longer I stay home the more I realize that it was worth it. Sure it's a sacrifce and sometimes hard to be at home all the time, but I look back at how quickly this time went by and I'm glad I didn't miss it. Good luck!! The hardest part I think is when they're so little because it really can get boring when they are just sleeping and not interacting. Then later it gets so fun when they start to love going to the zoo or museume or park. 
  • Options
    I didn't make as much as DH, but I had a great job.  I left mine b/c DH took a new job in a new state.  He did it b/c this new job had a 20% raise, and would grant me the ability to SAH.  So that is what I am doing now.  I did do the job hunt though, since LO isn't here yet, but I have found nothing in my field.  So I guess it will work out for the best, b/c I don't feel bad for not being able to find a job. 
  • Options
    When I finally quit my job I was really scared. There are not many jobs in my area so to leave a stable full time job was really hard but now that I am home I realize it was totally worth it
  • Options
    It was very hard for me to give up my awesome job. It took a long time for me to finally decide to do so. Once I did though, it didn't take too long to realize that I had made the best decision. I left 4 1/2 years ago and I've honestly never looked back. As much as I loved my job, every day I think about how my days could be drifting away behind a desk instead of being at home and it makes me realize how blessed I am to be able to be home with them. It is a tough market to be voluntarily walking out on a job, but just think, by leaving your job you may be giving a job opportunity to someone else who is desperately in need of an income to support their family. Since you have the financial ability to leave, maybe you leaving your job is a blessing for you as well as for someone else. :)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  It helps me so much when I find out that people feel the way I do and I'm not just making up some new insanity.  I think one thing that bothers me is that I'm really fed up with my job.  Even though my husband says it's great that I'll be out of there soon and won't have to put up with it - I still worry that I'm somehow taking the easy way out. HA. Isn't that a laugh!  We have always felt strongly about one of us being home so we're both completely on board with this.  It just feels weird.  And honestly - I'm actually excited about it!!!
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, I'm leaving my job in about 6 weeks.  I work at a fabulous law firm and worked very hard to end up where I am now - it was a hard decision to SAH.  It does feel a little weird to just up and leave when so many others are worried about getting laid off.  I feel pretty good about my decision though.  Also, I've been offered a part time job by someone I used to work for, so there's a safety net if I change my mind.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"