Working Moms
Options

Does it ever bother you to think...

...that someone other than you or your DH (daycare teacher, nanny, etc) has such a huge impact on your LO's life and who they become? This gets to me sometimes! DS has a great nanny but sometimes I don't like to think about the fact that she has more time with DS and will obviously influence who he becomes and how he behaves, etc. It's so hard to balance everything! I LOVE my career but I wish I had more time with DS too! :-(

Re: Does it ever bother you to think...

• Options

Not at all. I think that she is going to be much better prepared emotionally and developmentally for school than children who are home all the time.  She has no attachment issues and loves going to school.  She loves her teachers and talks about them all the time.  One of them is her babysitter as well.   And I can't tell you how wonderful and heartwarming it is to hear her talk about her friends. 

There will always be someone other than the parents who will be a big influence on your child's life even if you were a SAHM.  It could be a grandparent or a high school teacher or a coach, etc.  

• Options

Quite the opposite-- I think it's a great thing that DS has other people in his life who care about him and take great care of him.  I picked my nanny carefully and I trust her completely and I think she's had a fantastic influence on my son- she thinks of things that DH and I wouldn't and because she's in his life, I think my son is really open and has zero stranger anxiety or attachment issues.  

I try to include other people in his life too-- my parents, my sister, etc.  The more people in my son's life who love him and have a positive influence on him, the better IMHO.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    hmm, I hadn't thought of it that way! Thanks! I feel better! DS has many important people in his life. He spends a lot of time alone with one aunt as well as his grandma (and of course his nanny) and he also has a lot of time alone with DH...maybe this is why he's so social and happy? I hadn't thought of that! He loves people and waves and laughs with anyone that will interact with him! :-)
  • Options

imageMrs.V:
    hmm, I hadn't thought of it that way! Thanks! I feel better! DS has many important people in his life. He spends a lot of time alone with one aunt as well as his grandma (and of course his nanny) and he also has a lot of time alone with DH...maybe this is why he's so social and happy? I hadn't thought of that! He loves people and waves and laughs with anyone that will interact with him! :-)

I honestly do think this is why DD is such a happy, social, outgoing little girl.  She spends a lot of time with both sets of grandparents and her aunt and cousin.... without us around all the time. She's always the hit of playdates because she isn't shy at all and doesn't usually need much time to warm up to people.

• Options
    It just bothers me that he goes to other people for comfort or hugs even if I'm there.  My MIL has DS for a few hours three times a week and I hate that when I go to pick him up, he'll crawl to her more than he'll come to me.  I don't worry about daycare personnel though.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yes, but the place we have picked to put him everyday is really nice and has so much to keep him stimulated and learning. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

No.  I wholeheartedly believe in 2 cliches.

1) You can never have too many people love your child(ren).

2) It takes a village.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Not at all.  Raising a child is a huge challenge and responsibility and I'm grateful for the help.

• Options
    Nope.  My DS's nannies are fantastic!  He is super excited to see them and they are so creative with his daily activities.  Both have been teachers before.  He goes to music class and gymnastics, and plays at the indoor playground several times a week.  They've been very successful in teaching him to sign. If I were to SAH I don't think I'd have the energy or creativity to do half of what they do with him, so I'm so glad he has these ladies in his life to learn from.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nope. There are lots of people that will have a huge impact on his life who are not me, his dad, teachers, grandparents, cousins, friends.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Options
    No, because I really feel that DH and I have the greatest affect on our kids.  Usually, our childcare providers have deferred to us in terms of discipline and followed our lead.  If there is an issue, we talk about it and decide the best course of action.  What happens in school/daycare is what happens at home so that we can be consistent.  Other than learning and socializing, I have seen very little affect on my kids from daycare/preschool.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

No not at all. I was taken care of by a wonderful women when my parents worked. She definitly shaped part of who I am today. Some of my greatest childhood memories are of the time I spent with her & her family. She was like a 2nd mother to me that I'll never forget. Her boys where like brothers.  

I wish I could find that for DD. Instead she goes to a daycare facility. I just hope she has as many great memories there as I did as a child. I think it's a good balance for her to be taken care of by others besides DH & I.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"