Northern California Babies

Sorting & organizing books

I need some helpful hints & tips on how to sort thru and organize all of boys' books. Right now I have 2 medium baskets downstairs in each of the areas they regularly play in with an assortment of books. And upstairs I have what they aren't currently reading/playing with in a big bookshelf in a spare bedroom and then some in their room for bedtime.

How do you decide what books to keep out? Store away for keepsakes (and/or future children)? Or give away/throw away?

TIA!

Re: Sorting & organizing books

• I'm pretty bad about this, because most books are still out.  We have a big bookcase with loads of cubbies in the playroom and they are about half books/half toys.  For a while I tried to keep them organized- board books, russian books, bigger kid books (i.e., curious george, angelina ballerina).  Now its all one huge mess.  In her room we have a rotating bin of bedtime books just on the floor (or all over the floor).  The only books actually put away are holiday books- we have some halloween, thanksgiving, hanukkah and christmas and I store those with the decorations for the holiday.  Now that the kids are each getting their own rooms, I'm thinking of putting the board books in Luka's room and some older books in Sabina's room.

I'm not huge on getting rid of books, so I figure after we're done with the books, I'll keep my/our faves- like all the Sandra Boynton probably and donate any others.  I know my nieces love reading the board books to my kids as they are learning to read- so if the boys have any younger cousins around, they might want to hold onto those easy ones. 

For donations, there are your standard libraries and schools, then places like my ped's office- who give the books to patients from low -income families in the practice.  Its neat that the kids go home with a book from every visit.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I just went through all of Ryan's books and took out most of the baby board books (shapes, colors, pictures, touch/feel, etc).  I left out books that we didn't read very often in hopes that we would read them more before the new baby comes.  I also took out "seasonal" books like Christmas books, halloween books, easter books, etc.  They're now stored with the seasonal decor.   We have a LOT of books though - 3 full shelves of board books and big kid books.
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies. I have a tall bookcase/bookshelf from Target and all 4 shelves are FULL! I did go thru and throw away the ones that are chewed beyond recognition (gotta love the teething stages of BOTH boys) and any that the boys really ripped up pages, bindings, etc. A lot of the books are from DH's childhood and are appropriate for when the boys get older. I just need to figure out how to get them all neat and tidy. Wink
  • I have one tub of books in their room. A 3 shelf book case of age appropriate books, work books, and coloring books in their learning area and for now I have still 2-3 boxes of books more for ages 7-12 that are just put away.

Mama to Z - 5.5 years, G - 3.5 years, & M - 1.5 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"