Trouble TTC
Options

Weight and BMI ???

I'm new here, needing some support big time!  I have been told I had PCOS for over 10 years and my Dr. has always said when the time came to TTC we would do chlomid, no question about it.  Well I've been married for 1.5 years now and because of blood clots I have never been on BC.  We have been actively trying for 1 year now, and I've actually cycled the past 5 months.  I went to my Dr last month and she said NO Chlomid because my BMI is to high.  I recognize I could loose some weight, but I'm still healthy.  Anyway just wondering if any of you have had this problem?  I'm debating going to another dr. I'm very frustrated.  Is this an across the board thing, or just my dr?  Thanks in advance for your support.

Re: Weight and BMI ???

• Options
    I think it is just your DR. I am carrying on extra weight, in fact a lot of people with PCOS are also overweight and my RE is putting me on clomid next cycle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would definitely suggest looking for a new Dr.  I am overweight, by more than I want to admit, but my Dr has put me on Clomid.  Of course he has said I need to work on loosing weight, which I am doing, but didnt see any reason not to be on Clomid and TTC.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have PCOS and went through almost two years ttc before getting pg.  My dr put me on metformin to see if that would help with PCOS and getting me to ovulate on my own.  I never did and he put me on clomid and I will tell you that I was over 200 pounds when he put me on clomid.  I was on it for 5 months before getting pg.  
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  I'm going to start looking for a new Dr.  This seemed a little off to me!
  • Options

I've done Clomid and injectables w/ a high BMI. Most REs I've found prefer not to do it on patients that are excessively overweight. In fact, after 3 cycles my RE put the brakes on and I was reverted back to plan A - losing weight.

The weight produces excess androgens in your body and they just eff up your metabolic reproductive system. My RE said that the weight is affecting my egg quality and that even if I did get pregnant, I would have implantation issues, and on top of that, the hormones put me at a greater risk of miscarrying.

Being overweight puts all the odds against you sometimes. You have to fight the weight or hope for a miracle. I'm doing both. My reward? My first non-medicine enduced period in 10 years! What did I do different? Diet. I drastically changed my diet by strictly following an insulin resistant diet, also Metformin 1500 mg + Chromium (helps regulate blood glucose).

Good luck to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"