Parenting
Options

s/o opening gifts at party..

DS's 3rd birthday is Saturday and we're having it at a bouncyhouse place.  It's 2 hours (strict).  The kids will spend 1:15hrs jumping and 45 minutes in the party room. We're having pizza, cupcakes, and icecream. 

45 minutes is enough time to open presents too, right?  There will be 15 kids, so figure if each one brings 1 present, that's only 15 presents to open.   

The party place suggested not opening presents there.  If I brought a gift, I wouldn't care if I didn't see it get opened, but I'm afraid other people may feel differently.

David "BD" 2/8/07 Spencer 9/12/11

Re: s/o opening gifts at party..

• Options
    I wouldn't open the presents.  The time would be tight and it would be chaotic.  Besides, I think, for a 3 year old, it's pretty overwhelming to open that many gifts at the same time, especially with an audience.
    Susie, mom to DS 4/10/07 and DD 3/6/09 (MC 9/05, 2/06) Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We had a party like that and we ended up not having time to open gifts. Youwill need to have DS start opening even before eating. I felt really bad and kept apologizing to the other parents we weren't going to openthe gifts. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It wouldn't bother me being the gift giver, but oh man, I don't think ds would be able to get through the party w/o opening his gifts...lol.
  • Options
    We just went to this same type of party on Saturday.  We went into the party room, ate some pizza, sang happy birthday and had some cake and there was about 10 minutes to spare.  So needless to say, he did not open the presents and it didn't bother me at all - it was a fun party.
  • Options
    I wouldn't expect presents to be opened at a kid's bday party, so some people are funny about it. Can you blame it on the policy of the place?
  • Options

Thanks!

If we don't open presents during the party, I will probably do what I did for Christmas - write the thank you note on the back of a picture of DS opening or playing with the present they gave him. 

David "BD" 2/8/07 Spencer 9/12/11
  • Options
    I wouldn't feel pressured to open any at the party.  I didn't want DD to open any because at age 3 they all want to take their toy home, or someone else wants to grab it and then crazy tantrums start happening all around.  There were two kids that wanted to see DD open her presents so we opened those but our time was also up and people were putting coats on and leaving at the time.
    J1 1.19.07
    J2 11.17.08
  • Options
    None of my friends have their kids open gifts at their birthday parties.
  • Options
    I've never been to a birthday party where the kids did not open their gifts.  That seems really werid to me...sort of like what you do for a wedding.  If you have that much time to eat (45 minutes) do you really think you need that much time.  It never took the kids are our parties that long to eat.  While they are eating cake (after your DC has blown out candles) just have the gifts opened then.  I know my kids enjoy shoping for the gift and likes to see it opened.  At the indoor playground near us...there are party rooms and of course strick time allowances...but if time gets short they've just come out into the main room and the kids open the gifts there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"