Attachment Parenting

Share your birth plan

Anyone willing to share their birth plan? I want to make sure we are not forgetting anything. I looked that the Bump sample but feel that it is so long. I would really like to keep ours to 1-2 pages. TIA!!

Re: Share your birth plan

• I can't find my actual birth plan, because I think I wrote it on Mom's computer.

It's very personal. Do you want to go all natural? Do you want to delay cord clamping (HIGHLY recommend it!)? Do you want freedom to move? The stuff I'm listing is what was important to ME and what my midwife approved. 

No episiotimy(I know thats spelled so horribly wrong, I'm sleep deprived), I'd rather be allowed to tear on my own (pretty common practice now, just not around these parts).

Do not offer pain medicine. I know my options and will request what I think I need.

I want to be allowed to labor on my own for as long as possible after my water has broken.

I actually said that I wanted my water to be allowed to break on my own, but after being in labor for 3 weeks, I changed my tune. 

I asked to delay cord clamping for 5+ minutes after the delivery.

I asked to be allowed as many people in the delivery room as I wanted (I had 6 plus doctors/nurses, and couldn't have done it without them). 

I asked to be able to walk/move as much as possible. 

I asked to be able to eat/drink fully throughout the labor. 

I asked that the baby be placed on my chest directly after birth, and unless a medical emergency arise, not moved until she'd latched. 

Those were the most important TO ME. Birth is very personal. I'd just make sure that everything you want is in there, and anything you are opposed to is listed as well. 

My biggest piece of advice: You can plan your birth to the letter, but that doesn't mean that emergencies don't arise. That being said... the best way to have the birth you want is to completely educate yourself as much as you can, and then realize that as long as you have a healthy baby in the end, nothing else matters. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a detailed birth plan, and honestly, I do not think they are necessary at all.  I had my baby in Australia, but I can't see how the US would be much different.  My doctor said that delayed cord clamping is associated with a higher risk of jaundice, so I went with the immediate clamping.  I requested no episiotomy, but then DS was stuck for an hour and he had to be resuscitated when he was born and could have died.  I should I have just let them do it when they first recognized that he wasn't going to fit!  I thought that I wanted to be completely mobile (walking around) during labor, but in reality the pain was so bad that I absolutely did not want to get off the bed. And finally, I doubt everyone is going to be forcing you to get an epi if you don't want one.  Instead of a birth plan, I recommend having a husband or birth partner who knows what you want and to speak on your behalf!
  • Loading the player...
  • I can PM you mine if you would like.

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"