Attachment Parenting

Is it ok if the tail of a ring sling isn't super long?

I made one today after reading tons of info on them online & I think it came out super cute.  However, when I bought the fabric, I only got 2 yards instead of 2 1/4, like I had read to get.  :/  I completely forgot!!!  I tried a hip carry w/ my DS (who is about 35lbs.), just to see how short the tail would be.  I'd say the tail was about 12 inches (??? Maybe a bit shorter).  I've never used a store bought one, but I've always seen pictures of them w/ super long tails.  I would think that the tail will be longer when I use it for my new DS (due in April), since he won't take up as much room as DS #1.  Is it really necessary to have a long tail, though?

Re: Is it ok if the tail of a ring sling isn't super long?

• 12 inches seems pretty short. My tails are real long (almost knee length), but I'm only 5' 3" if I'm standing with the most perfect posture ever. Big Smile

I don't know if it's a necessity to have a longer tail or not. I use mine as a BFing cover, so I like it a little longer. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think it's necessary to have a long tail as long as it's long enough to ensure the threading is secure. 12 should be fine for that, but I wouldn't go any shorter.

It's is easier to have a long tail though, and that's what I prefer. Like Webmistress, I use the tail as a nursing cover, as an extra layer to wrap around DS when it's cold, etc. I like a tail that's at least 24 inches from the rings.

But I do have a Maya wrap that I bought because it was gorgeous and a freakin' steal, and it's only got about a 12 inch tail. I feel weird with that short little tail flapping around my shoulder, so I just tuck it back underneath, between the rings and my shoulder.

• Loading the player...
  • imageThe_Spanish_Inquisition:

I don't think it's necessary to have a long tail as long as it's long enough to ensure the threading is secure. 12 should be fine for that, but I wouldn't go any shorter.

It's is easier to have a long tail though, and that's what I prefer. Like Webmistress, I use the tail as a nursing cover, as an extra layer to wrap around DS when it's cold, etc. I like a tail that's at least 24 inches from the rings.

But I do have a Maya wrap that I bought because it was gorgeous and a freakin' steal, and it's only got about a 12 inch tail. I feel weird with that short little tail flapping around my shoulder, so I just tuck it back underneath, between the rings and my shoulder.

:P  Yeah, I felt a bit "off" with it being so short, but the tucking sounds like a good solution!  It holds DS really well, so I'll have to make another one the same way- just longer.  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"