Georgia Babies

Are 3D Ultrasounds Safe?

I've read a few things about how 3D ultrasounds are risky. (Like the ones done in a retail type of environment.) Has anyone talked to their DR about it?

Edit note: Maybe I should say, "Are non-diagnostic ultrasounds safe?"

Team Green for #2! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Shmoo is growing up! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Are 3D Ultrasounds Safe?

• I've had all three of mine done in the doctor's office.  I don't think if it was unsafe they would do them there.  I can't imagine the retail people using different equipment, though they might...I've never heard of them being unsafe, since, as with the 2D it is unintrusive waves applied externally. 
  • Unless there is something new that I am aware of, U/S is generally considered safe- whether 3D or not.  Now, I think there is always cause for concern when anything is used in excess (e.g. TomKat's home ultrasound machine) but I really think they are fine.  My OB did a few 3D ultrasounds on me while I was pg using the same type equipment as BFI.  I certainly wouldn't accept any medical advice from a retail type place, but as long as you are only going there for "fun"- there is really no harm IMO.

• Loading the player...
  • Ok, I just found this article. Is it internet trash or for real?

https://www.babyzone.com/askanexpert/3d-ultrasounds

Team Green for #2! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Shmoo is growing up! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I think it's completely a liability issue and not harmful to the baby.  My bff is a sonographer and the only issue she says about it is that if the ultrasound tech isn't a qualified medical sonographer they might miss something if the baby had any kind of condition or problem.  But as far as the procedure itself, it's safe.
  • It's real. You should be able to find information from the ACOG's website.
  • It's more due to liability then anything. I had 12-15 u/s with Bailey and one of those was 3D at a place on Roswell Rd. All the place did was show me the goods and show me Bailey sucking his thumb. There was no medical talk or anything but I'd already had 2 u/s (8wk and 1st tri screening) so I knew the baby was doing good.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm pretty sure that Henci Goer talks about U/S (in general) in The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth.  You should check it out - it's a great book.
    Jen & T.J. 6.17.06 BabyBlog * my chart *
    Joseph Henry was born at home on March 9, 2009
    Nora Mae was born at home on October 30, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"