Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

BFing & food allergies????

Just wondering what foods you should stay away from while breastfeeding. I'm eating strawberry banana yogurt right now & started to think crap should i even be eating this because of food allergies for LO. What do you girls think??
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BFing & food allergies????

• Options
    I'm not avoiding anything... I think unless your LO has shown sensitivity or you have a strong family history of allergies that you shouldn't have to worry.
  • Options
    you should know this, what a bad mother, I feel sorry for your child.  And your husband...just for good measure.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageStarAnnice:

Cat, I just looked it up and answered in chat...but I'll repost here if anyone else was interested:

If there is a family history of allergies to foods then avoid them. Are you, baby's dad, or any siblings allergic to these? If so don't eat them. 

If no suspected food allergies on either side of baby's family then try one food at a time in small amount. Watch baby for any symptoms of allergies after you've eaten. May be a runny nose, watery eyes, cough, spitting up, bad smelling or green stools, or fussiness.

Other common foods which cause allergic reactions are eggs, wheat, corn, pork, fish and shellfish, peanuts, tomatoes, onions, cabbage, berries, nuts, spices, citrus fruits and juices, and chocolate.

If you have no reason to suspect a food allergy then eat as you normally would and any time you see a reaction in the baby consider what you had in the last 6 hours or so. Eating normal portions and not large amounts of one food helps in avoiding reactions.

I disagree. DS1 has multiple food allergies (dairy, egg, peanut and tree nut) and I asked his allergist and my OB how I should proceed during my second PG. They both agreed that I shouldn't avoid anything. The allergist recommended that I give up nuts in the last month of my PG to get them out of my system and continue to avoid them while BF, just in case. So far, DS2 shows no signs of allergies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"