2nd Trimester

Baby Bargains... vent

I bought Baby Bargains today hoping that it would help me in my search for nursery furniture, among other things. Well, I'm just more confused now than ever Confused It doesn't give many brands very good ratings and it's making me think that they are all just crap... except the pricey ones. It's stressing me out even though I know I have time and I shouldn't let it. I just don't feel like dealing with it... anyone else feeling like that?
Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

Re: Baby Bargains... vent

• I felt a little like that.

We just took it with us when we registered and if there was something we weren't sure of or two things we couldn't decide between we referenced it.

We made a rule that nothing could have a rating of less than a B.

Good luck!

• I wouldn't worry...It is like everything in life someone always has something negative to say about it. I got a crib that a cousin has and has loved so I hope that will help! Ask around and go with your gut!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Just remember, it is one opinion.  I found some things in it helpful,but others not.  I used it in combination with customer reviews online.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Well unfortunately in the juvenile product industry, a lot of it is crap.  Just take it a chapter at a time based on what you need to purchase first, and cross-reference their opinions with your own research (google is your friend).  It took us about a month to decide on a crib because we weren't willing to compromise on one with harmful chemicals in it.  Pain in the a$$, yeah.  Worth taking the time to do the painstaking research, definitely.  If more people refused to buy crappy items for their babies, companies would be forced to make better stuff.
  • and I'm now wondering if they've published a new edition since I was pg with DD (1.5yrs ago). I remember them routinely and often recommending a MUCH cheaper product/brand/item that would get the job done well. That book saved us hundreds.

I do remember some spendier options, but not many at all.

• I thought their crib recommendations were great, and they had a variety of price points.  We couldn't imagine spending a lot, so we got a Graco Lauren crib for $160.

I disagree with their section on dressers - I'm not going to buy a single small dresser that matches a crib that the child will not have in a few years.  I understand that solid wood drawers are better, but we're getting Ikea dressers for the baby's room for much cheaper.  They're solid on the outside, and that's mainly what matters to me.

We're also using the top of the dresser for a changing table - the 3 drawer Malm dresser is $80 and will be able to be used for years.

Give it some time to digest.  When I first started reading and taking notes, I felt really overwhelmed and stressed.  After awhile it all settled in and I feel very confident about our decisions.

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • While the book was definitely overwhelming we also found it very useful.  I gave it a read then referenced it while registering.  We were definitely able to save A LOT of money by using the book.  We found our crib for under $150 and same for our car seat/travel system and both had an "A" rating and are brand new.

EDIT:  I also agree with PP comment on dressers.  We did not see the need to spend several hundred on a dresser to match.  We went with a more affordable dresser/changer combo that may not be the best quality but will definitely do. 

Baby #3 is on the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

Also Mama to Max 5/21/10 and Lucy 6/18/12
  • There is a lot of information, but there are a lot of products to be sorted through.  I appreciate it.

In terms of affordable cribs, Bonavita (Graco) seems to be widely rec'd and rated highly in the book. The Lauren is on sale at Target right now for $140. We considered it, but decided to go with Bedford Baby (Westwood) at Penney's because we much prefer the style of the dresser and changing table-- they are much more substantial pieces of furntiure-- and it's still cheaper than traditional Westwood at Buy Buy Bay and other stores.  In any case, Baby Bargains certainly rec's highly graded (B and up) budget furniture.  Check out everything rated "good" at the end of the cribs chapter. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"