Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

AW-new sounds and words

DS has a slight expressive lang delay and has been getting developmental intervention through EI since Sept.   He had a small word explosion and now has 15-20 words but hasn't added any new words in over a month.    His therapist questioned me awhile ago about his tongue tie and if we had looked into getting it corrected.   I told her it had been clipped at 2 months.    She was surprised to hear that.

After her comment, I really started paying attention to his tongue movement and position and we realized it wasn't moving much.   I took him back to the ENT and we learned that there was a litle bit of tongue left plus some scarring.   So we decided to have her release the tongue tie.

The procedure was Friday.

Well, DS has been playing with sounds constantly..all day yesterday and  today.    I have heard so many sounds that I've never heard him make before.   I hope this sound play will quickly develop into new words....his nanananananana has already developed into a very firm NO NO NO which in typical toddler fashion he screamed during a diaper change!    He also said uh-oh for the first time and was calling the dog er-he(Murphy) We are starting to suspect that some of the unintelligible babble he did all the time before the procedure may have been words that we just couldn't make out.   Once we get speech therapy in place(we have his 6 month EI review tomorrow and we're adding speech therapy) and his tongue gets stronger, I have a feeling he is going to be a chatterbox! I bet in a couple months we're going to be begging him to be quiet!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: AW-new sounds and words

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"