Austin Babies

(another) NAMC question

Yeah, probably should have just taken the tour and gotten my questions answered.

Those of you who delivered there, where does family wait?  The only waiting area I've seen is that space right off the elevators up on the L&D floor- is that it?  I know at Seton they were all able to see DS as he and DH came up to the nursery, but this area is separated from that area by those locked doors- so can they not come in to watch through the nursery window?

Tell me about it, people.

the bug & bee blog
(read it. you know you want to.)
anderson . september 2008
vivian . february 2010
mabel . august 2012
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: (another) NAMC question

• I didn't have anyone waiting for me, but I saw people out there. Pretty sure that is the waiting area.

I imagine someone could come get them and let them see into the nursery? You're allowed to have guests. 

Like I said though, I'm not popular enough for waiters so I have no first hand experience ;)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • That is the waiting room for L&D, but once the boys were born they were able to come back into the postpartum area where the nursery is. I was really worried about my parents having Rhett in that waiting area with the unprotected staircase, but they were able to push several couches/chairs together and make a little corral for him to play in.
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

• Loading the player...
  • Rach- yeah, I'm a pretty huge deal, so there will be THRONGS.  ;) 

imageKim777:
    That is the waiting room for L&D, but once the boys were born they were able to come back into the postpartum area where the nursery is. I was really worried about my parents having Rhett in that waiting area with the unprotected staircase, but they were able to push several couches/chairs together and make a little corral for him to play in.

Okay, so Rhett was there for your c/s?  I'm really torn on this, actually!  My mom, dad, sister, and MIL will all be in the waiting area.  My choices are to leave DS with a friend or have my family bring DS along with them, my family really wants to just come up and have him come, too.  I'm leaning towards having him there with my family, thinking they could always leave and take him home if things got delayed- I think he'd be happier with his grandparents and auntie than with friends wondering where everyone went so early in the morning.

How did it work out for you?  Did you see Rhett right after the twins came?  How did Rhett do?  A's usually pretty chill about new places and I'm leaning toward letting them bring him .... 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • That is the main waiting area and they will direct you to go through the old women's center entrance and up to the nursery that way.  Failure on design if you ask me, it's a total pain.  I've been allowed to go through the doors while working there but only if it is a nurse that knows me / if I'm with mom or dad with an armband and baby. 
  • Ditto the others about the waiting area, but the nursery in the pp area is easier to access.  My dad came in with me while I was in recovery and DH was with DS and he said they led him through some back hallway or something.  I don't know about all that, but the rest of the fam was able to watch DS get his first bath and pee all over the nurse while she was trying to do it :)

And butting in on the old DC question- I left DD at home and had a friend come over and stay with her.  I had to be at the hospital at 5:00 and she's a late sleeper, so taking her would have been really tough.  My mom was at the hospital while I was having the c/s and then she went home and relieved my friend and waiting for DD to wake up.  Then she called us to see how things were going and brought DD up around lunch time.  Part of me really wanted her there to meet DS immediately, but I think it would have added stress to the whole situation.  DD did well while in the hospital (she was 18 months at the time) and had fun exploring the halls.  I brought a toy to give her "from" DS and we were able to direct her attention to the new toy when needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"