Preemies

maybe I'm the only one...

But I'm really not impressed with this Duggar special.  Yes, I really feel for her.  I do not wish anyone had to go through what she went through and is going through.  It sucks.  But...

If I were a parent in the NICU where they delivered, I'd have been so angry...  I think it's poor form for the hospital administration to have allowed that many people (let alone the camera crew with all the equipment, lighting, etc. that comes along with being able to put something on the air) access to the NICU.  At one time.

I'd have been pissed.

Re: maybe I'm the only one...

• I second this! I was shuddering at all those small children....
  • I would imagine that she's in an isolated area of the NICU...I doubt they're letting a film crew walk around freely.  I also read somewhere that the NICU there only allows visitors 18yo and older so the big family moment must have been a one time exception.

Our NICU (until it closed for flu season) allowed only three people at the baby's bedside at a time.  One of those had to be a parent, but there were no restrictions on who (or how old) the others were.  I'd get paranoid any time I saw ANY kids in there.  And I was secretly relieved that we spent most of our stay in isolation.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It seemed like she was in a private room, so I'm thinking the other kids weren't exposed. But yeah, that was too much for me.

One of our NICU friends had a 20 month old who didn't get to meet his sister until right before she came home because he was under 2 and wasn't allowed. 

Plus they didn't really want to have to explain to such a small child why the baby couldn't come home and all of that. He'd already been through a lot because his mom was on hospital bedrest for 5w 

• DH and I thought that too until I saw that it looked like it was a private room.  Maybe it wasn't even in the NICU?
  • imagemhop:
    DH and I thought that too until I saw that it looked like it was a private room.  Maybe it wasn't even in the NICU?

yup, same reaction DH & I had but we think it was a private room turned into thwir 'own' NICU... 

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Yeah, my guess is that this was an isolated incident and that they were away from other NICU babies.
  • I am going to watch it when they run it again tonight, I was at work for the beginning of the first time.  Here's my two cents though.

All of these shows that allow all of that in the NICU are bad to me.  When Dr. Phil went to see the Octuplets  I thought it was tacky, the Little Couple does it all the time at Texas Children's.  To me it is not in the best interest of the babies.  They should be in a low stim, clean environment and bringing all of these people and their equipment in is not best for the babies.  I would have a huge fit if it happened in my NICU.

Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • You think she could leave the NICU as small as she is??  Yikes!

In our hospital, once a baby left the NICU, they could not return to it.  If they left the NICU and had to elevate care-level again (regardless of whether they were discharged from the hospital or not), they got sent to the PICU to minimize iatrogenic infection in the other infants.  I guess I never thought it might be different in any other hospital.

• Agreed.  But... I am greatfull that they and the family were able to present this to the world in hopes that someone will learn from the experience somehow.  And I think they did it pretty tastefully, you could not see the layout of the NICU or any other patients, you have no idea where they were in relation to other patients and so maybe there was little to no risk to anyone else.
  • I guess I'm in the minority (and I haven't watched the show), but I think it's awesome that they let the whole family meet Josie. Can you imagine if something happened and the older kids never got to meet her? 
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • imageMrs.tlcS:

You think she could leave the NICU as small as she is??? Yikes!

In our hospital, once a baby left the NICU, they could not return to it.? If they left the NICU and had to elevate care-level again (regardless of whether they were discharged from the hospital or not), they got sent to the PICU to minimize iatrogenic infection in the other infants.? I guess I never thought it might be different in any other hospital.

Our babies were allowed to leave. There was one that was "discharged" and went to be with the mother in her PP room and had another episode of not breathing so she ended back in the NICU.

I'm not sure what the scenario was, but I'm sure they discussed it with the other parents and also?sterilized?the equipment as much as possible.?

• imageTriciaJoy:

It seemed like she was in a private room, so I'm thinking the other kids weren't exposed. But yeah, that was too much for me.

One of our NICU friends had a 20 month old who didn't get to meet his sister until right before she came home because he was under 2 and wasn't allowed. 

Plus they didn't really want to have to explain to such a small child why the baby couldn't come home and all of that. He'd already been through a lot because his mom was on hospital bedrest for 5w 

Very similar situation to mine.  Claire didn't meet Keira until she was home.  She wasn't even allowed up when Keira was discharged.  (Claire was 18 months old) 

Claire Avery born at 32 weeks on 10/25/06 Keira Leigh born at 27 weeks on 4/29/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"