Blended Families
Options

Is this normal?

DH and I are aware of some emotional abuse and neglect going on at BM's house. We are doing everything we are able to do about the situation. To our knowledge there is no physical or sexual abuse going on. The kids are with us now. We were drawing pictures. SS's picture is of him, SD, and grandma. SD and grandma both had boobs and they all had "pee pees". I asked SS to tell me about his drawing. He told me this. I didn't at all lead him or assume he drew something he didn't. Is this normal 5yr old boy behavoir or something to be concerned about? Alone I don't think I would be worried but with everything else going on I'm a little concerned.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is this normal?

• Options

I think that you mentioned before that you had them (or all were?) in counseling?  If so, I would just take the picture to the counselor and let her look at it/come to a conclusion... Drawing is VERY helpful when young children arent able to verbalize something, especially something that is wrong, so I would definitely have it looked at.

PS - your baby is getting so big! I think he resembles you a lot! :)

• Options
    haha, when you had your Christmas picture posted :)  This one, I cant really see his face! :)  Didnt want you to read it and be like "what?" haha
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJ+R:

I think that you mentioned before that you had them (or all were?) in counseling?  If so, I would just take the picture to the counselor and let her look at it/come to a conclusion... Drawing is VERY helpful when young children arent able to verbalize something, especially something that is wrong, so I would definitely have it looked at.

PS - your baby is getting so big! I think he resembles you a lot! :)

I had to cancel our appointment today because of car trouble but we will have another one in two weeks when we have them again. I was already planning on taking the pics with me then.

I love hearing how DS2 looks like me. I hear it a lot but it makes me smile every time. As I'm sure you have seen from pictures DS1 looks NOTHING like me so it makes me happy to have a child that does.

• Options

Yes, it's normal. At that age, they view private parts as the same as an elbow or a knee. You take advantage of their mentioning it by reinforcing that no one should be touching them there and if they do, they need to tell someone. You could also ask them if anyone has touched them and see what they say.

But keep the conversation casual and light, like you're asking them about their trip to the park and don't ask leading questions.

Click me, click me!
  • Options
    imagehindsight's_a_biotch:

Yes, it's normal. At that age, they view private parts as the same as an elbow or a knee. You take advantage of their mentioning it by reinforcing that no one should be touching them there and if they do, they need to tell someone. You could also ask them if anyone has touched them and see what they say.

But keep the conversation casual and light, like you're asking them about their trip to the park and don't ask leading questions.

This is what I was thinking but with everything else going on I wanted to make sure. We have talked about good touching and bad touching before and they understand. I didn't directly ask SS if someone was touching him but I did casually ask some other questions. There are a lot of issues at BM's house but sexual abuse isn't one of them.

• Options
    imagehindsight's_a_biotch:

Ditto this.  He is just realizing more about boobs and penises (is that how you make it plural?)  Not sure what else is going on but the picture alone is not an issue.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"