Attachment Parenting
Options

I'm impressed

by how many ladies said they had Pit but no pain meds.  My Pit induction kicked my a$$--I was desperate for an epidural! To be fair, I had an OP baby who would not turn, so that didn't help. 

Next time, I am determined to make it med-free!

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: I'm impressed

• Options

I know - I feared pitocin.  They gave me some after kiddo was born as I was bleeding quite a bit and my uterus wasn't contracting - I remember asking how bad it would hurt (not much as it's apparently different when used after birth).

My SIL went without an epi with pit and a sunny side up baby - yowza!

• Options

I can't even imagine having pitocin but no epi.  I was on Pitocin because my water broke before I started labor.  I even had to have to IV pain meds before the epi.  Everything I learned about pain management and breathing completely went out the window when the Pitocin contractions hit me. 

I guess I shouldn't admit this on an AP board, but my epidural was like heaven.   This will sound controversial but I just don't buy the AP/peaceful parenting line on natural childbirth.  I don't think I have less of a bond with my child because I had an epi and then ended up needing a c-section (my LO was face up, got stuck in the birth canal and I was in terrible pain and begged for a c-section). 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

While I went without an epi and had pit, DS's birth was full of drugs - so I am slow to call my birth a "natural" birth (though, I wouldn't call it "unnatural," either!).

Personally, I just feared an epi more than pain - and fear an epidural even more for a second baby, oddly enough.  I did ask for an epi during transition and it was too late to get one, so I got Nubaine, which was worthless.

• Options
    imageAnother Jennifer:

I can't even imagine having pitocin but no epi.  I was on Pitocin because my water broke before I started labor.  I even had to have to IV pain meds before the epi.  Everything I learned about pain management and breathing completely went out the window when the Pitocin contractions hit me. 

I guess I shouldn't admit this on an AP board, but my epidural was like heaven.   This will sound controversial but I just don't buy the AP/peaceful parenting line on natural childbirth.  I don't think I have less of a bond with my child because I had an epi and then ended up needing a c-section (my LO was face up, got stuck in the birth canal and I was in terrible pain and begged for a c-section). 

I agree that having an epi doesn't make you have less of a bond- I wound up with one for both babies, b/c I'm a chicken and couldn't take the pain (was induced with DS, and the pitocin was the most horrid stuff ever!). I didn't have a c-section, thankfully, but still had the chance to bond with and BF both babies immediately after birth- they only took them away for like, 10 minutes after I'd spent the first hour with them, to clean them up and weigh them before I got them right back. Obviously, I don't have a non-medicated birth to compare this with, but I think it's unfair to say women who opt for an epi, for whatever reason, are going to harm their bond with their child.

• Options
    I don't think I bonded any less with my son because I had an epidural. I lasted about 6 hours with my doula before I was begging for one. I had had no sleep and my water broke at 2am so I was exhausted and in horrible pain. I was not progressing because I was so tensed. After the epi I was able to relax and let the contractions work. I was still able to push him out myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"