Georgia Babies

Anyone use freepeats?

I'm a fan of Baby Cheapskate on FB and they just posted someone has a free Maclaren umbrella stroller up for grabs on the Atlanta Freepeats board!  I joined and contacted the seller, so I have no idea if I got it or not.  There's no "reply" button on the forum so I have no idea how it all works.  Anyone familiar with it?

Re: Anyone use freepeats?

• I have never used it before but it is my understanding that you have to offer something on freepeats before you can claim something.  I could be wrong but this is the reason I have not used it b/c I have nothing to offer yet.

photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • kepkep member

I don't like freepeats. I signed up for it a few years ago because the concept seemed neat to me. I gave away a nice stereo. Granted, it was older, but it worked great and was $$$ (just big and bulky and we didn't have room for it anymore). You should have seen the responses I got within a minute. It was like vultures. Then, it was a total PITA to coordinate pickup with the person who was the first to respond. (I didn't want someone to know where I lived, so we had to figure out a meeting place and then he was late, etc., etc., etc.) TOTAL PITA. In the end, I don't even think he said thank you. I soon realized it is MUCH better to give things to Goodwill or another charity that perhaps has a store. That way, you can get a tax receipt at least.

A friend of mine (in another city) has used freepeats a lot. She has been stood up by people who don't come and pick up what they claim on the board. I guess people don't appreciate stuff enough when they don't have to pay for it. I would much rather give to a charity than to random people who may or may not come and get the stuff and who may or may not appreciate it. Sorry, I guess this has turned into a rant. Not a freepeats fan here. :o)

ETA: Oh wait. Maybe the one I used was Free Cycle (sp?). Same concept, though.

Photo by Everything Nice Photography
    My blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah freepeats is maternity and kids/baby stuff only, but just the same as free cycle.  I didn't hear back about that Maclaren, oh well.  I think DH and I have made maybe 5 Suburban loads full of donations to Goodwill so far in 2010, so we're ALL about donating!  It's so easy and convenient, plus the tax write off is nice.  I will occasionally sell some things - furniture, exercise equipment - on Craigs List, but I always make sure DH is home when the people come to pick up and we always have the item in the garage so they don't have to come in the house.
  • I HATE freecycle - I had the same experience as Kep but in London. We tried to give away a tv before we moved back here and people were such jerks, they wanted this and that and why wasn't it a flatscreen and blah blah and I wanted to say seriously? It is FREE. So yeah, not a fan here either.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageandrea922:
    I HATE freecycle - I had the same experience as Kep but in London. We tried to give away a tv before we moved back here and people were such jerks, they wanted this and that and why wasn't it a flatscreen and blah blah and I wanted to say seriously? It is FREE. So yeah, not a fan here either.

My MIL had the same expereince with a TV at Christmas....people, its FREE.

ACTUALLY we had a great experience when our tree fell over.  We didn't want to pay the company $$ to remove so we posted on Freecycle and a guy came with his truck and chain saw and hauled it away for free.  He was neat about everything also, apparently he sells the firewood in the winter...good for him! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"