Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

For those who refinished a dresser to use as a changing table...

A few questions:

A) Did you DH do the actual "finishing" process..I thought it was advised we don't get near the primers/stains, etc.

B) How did you secure the changing pad onto the dresser?

C) Any pics :)

Thanks! 

Re: For those who refinished a dresser to use as a changing table...

• Options
    Okay, so I didnt refinish a dresser, but can tell you the advice I got to secure the changing pad to the dresser...I was told to get a non-slip mat from Linens and things or similar and just cut to size. 
  • Options
    We refinished a few pieces (you can seem them in the post below titled "modern/vintage nursery").  My husband definitely did the stripping on his own, since that stuff is pretty potent.  I helped paint and then he put the finish on.  The non-slip mat, as the previous poster suggested, is great.  There are also little straps that you can attach to the back of your dresser to help keep it in place.  It took some time to refinish but I loved how the dressers turned out!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm actually doing this next weekend - I'm sanding down and painting the dresser along with several other pieces of furniture for other areas of our house.  I am not using any stripping chemicals so no major fumes, other than paint.  I think as long as I wear a mask I'll be fine.  DH and I painted the basement the other weekend and just opened up the doors and windows down there to get cross ventilation.  
  • Options
    Oh and most changing pads come with straps so you can fix it to the back of the dresser - as well as the non slick bottom.  
  • Options

My DH is in the process of doing this right now.  The stripper stuff he is using is extremely potent so he is doing it out in the garage where it is ventilated and I don't get involved.  Then he sands each piece and will be staining them to match the crib. 

He said he could build a removable "lip" for the edge of the dresser if I'm worried about the changing pad sliding, or we will try out a non-skid mat like pp suggested.  Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    We sanded an old dresser, primed, painted and changed out hardware. No pics yet.....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"