Attachment Parenting

Too much sleeping in carrier?

I love wearing DS and use a Moby and (just recently now that he's almost 10 weeks old and BIG) an Ergo. I'd like to be able to wear him at least a few hours a day, especially now that I've mastered hands-free BF. However, he always falls asleep quickly after settling in. When I don't wear him, he seldom naps during the day. The problem is that he tends to wake pretty frequently at night, and I'm afraid the extra napping in the carrier will make it harder for him to sleep well at night. Anyone else have this concern?

Re: Too much sleeping in carrier?

• Actually many people recommend babywearing to get a baby to sleep better at night.  When a baby is worn he/she takes a lot of little catnaps instead of a deep sleep during the day so he/she sleeps better at night. 

• imageAnother Jennifer:

Actually many people recommend babywearing to get a baby to sleep better at night.  When a baby is worn he/she takes a lot of little catnaps instead of a deep sleep during the day so he/she sleeps better at night. 

Yes, I've heard this too.  I wear DS all the time and he sleeps great at night! 

• Loading the player...
  • How frequently is frequently?  Is he waking to nurse and then going back to sleep or staying awake for long periods of time?  It's normal for such a young baby to wake often at night.  Delilah still wakes 2-4 times a night and has no signs of slowing down any time soon!

D sleeps much better at night when she's napped during the day.  Without naps, it's a disaster all day (and night) long.

• imageMrsErinnElizabeth:

How frequently is frequently?  Is he waking to nurse and then going back to sleep or staying awake for long periods of time? 

It's a mix...most nights he does go right back to sleep, but sometimes he's back up an hour later.

Good to know I probably shouldn't worry about the napping...maybe I'll just have to experiment and see whether it really seems to affect his night sleep.

• My DS will only nap in a carrier or while nursing.  If I feel that he needs a longer nap I'll nurse him laying down and nap with him.  He's been sleeping fine at night although he still gets up to nurse (usually twice) but he's young and probably hungry.  I was also wondering if it was a problem that he'll only nap while touching me but he sleeps in his crib at night without a problem.  We'll see what happens when he gets older I guess!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"