Trouble TTC

Anyone ever had a Hysterosalpingogram?

Hi everyone! Big Smile

I finally went to my new RE and YES! he took me seriously!Yay! He perscribed me metformin 500mg 3x a day and he wants me to get a HSG. He said it would be painfull. Anyone with experience? Any advice at all would be great! Also I was looking up the procedure and it says that there could be complications during the procedure with the dye that they have to inject because of metformin. Anyone know about this?Confused

Re: Anyone ever had a Hysterosalpingogram?

• Each woman feels different with the HSG. They are routine in the IF world, so loads of people on the IF board have had them. For me, there was some sharp cramping for a few seconds, the rest was just not comfortable. I felt crampy for several hours afterwards and icky because the dye was leaking out. Ask for a pad afterwards if they don't give you one. At my doctor's direction, I took ibuprofen beforehand. But, go with what you dr. tells you. If you have blood clotting problems, that would be a bad idea.

Some people--not many-- are allergic to the dye but based on your allergies, your doctor should know if this includes you or not. I believe shellfish allergy is a clue. I don't know about metaformin and complications.  I would ask your doctor to clarify and answer your questions. The internet is handy, but tends to be over-dramatic with info. Use the professional you've hired and ask lots of questions. GL!

• I was told to stop my Metformin a day before the procedure and skip 2 days and then get back on it. No big deal.

Sounds like you are on the regular Metformin. If the s/e get to be too much, ask for the Metformin XR, so you can take all 3 pills at once and it has less s/e.

Katie, PCOS since May 2005, Fostering since November 2010 Adoption since December 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    *PCOS bio* *Cold Hands, Warm Heart*
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know about the s/e with metformin - but I had mine three weeks ago - like the other posters have said each person is very different.  Mine was very painful.  I took 800mg of advil before hand.  I was crampy and swollen for two days afterwards.  Mine was on a Friday and I took the day off afterwards and just relaxed.  More than painful it was really emotional and I don't think I was prepared for that.  I was laying on the table - frog legged - just wondering why I had to be the one laying there. KWIM?? 

I will say though watching the dye flow into my uterus and thru the tubes was really neat.  If you can see the screen definately watch.

Good Luck - you will be fine!! 

• I don't know anything about the metformin but I had the HSG and did not have any problems.  Some spotting and mild cramping but nothing else.  I hope everything goes well. Good luck. :-)
  • I had an HSG and forgot to take Ibupropren - But it really didn't hurt. Just some mild cramping. I took the rest of the day off of work but probably could have gone back : ) Good excuse to rest, though! I think the dye allergy is rare. Good luck!
  • Have you had your HSG yet?  I had it in Dec 2009.  I found it to be painful when the dr. opened the balloon to keep the catheter in place.   I was cramping and uncomfortable during the procedure and only for a few hours afterwards.  My dr. told me that having the test done has been known to help boost the chances of getting pregnant....I guess she was right because I'm almost 6 weeks prego now!  Good luck to you!!
  • Mine was super painful. I ended up throwing up due to the pain. They made me stay in another room after the procedure for 1 1/2 hours until the pain subsided. When the pain and nausea left, I had very very mild cramp on one side for about 2-3 hours, then I felt normal.

Everyone is different, but take ibuprofen before you go in.

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow!Surprise Im definitly going to talk to my doctor about everything. All the advice was really helpfull. im definitly a little freaked out.
  • I just had my HSG today! and it went very well. I was preparing myself for it to be very painful but it was not bad at all. i was a nervous wreck. my RE office is amazing. i've heard having it done at a radiology office is worse.  the staff made a world of difference...they were very calm, sweet and very gentle . it helped that i got good news as well. but the procedure itself was not painful at all. but its different for everyone. mine lasted only a few minutes and i was in and out of the office in 1/2 hour. good luck to all and hope everyones HSG goes as well as mine did.

so if anyone has started a cycle of clomid and then did an IUI, when did you start that process after the HSG???

Shortyab PCOS, 6 failed IUIs, break to regroup and regain faith....then IVF #1 Feb 2012 ER Feb 19: 32 follicles ET Feb 24: 1 day 5 blast March8: BFP!!!! Beta #1:1700 1st ultrasound at 6 1/2 weeks saw little bean with heartbeat! 11 weeks ultrasound was so amazing, heard the heartbeat for first time!!! BabyFruit Ticker
  • had mine back in Nov. I took some advil before like many advised. I'm pretty sure it hurt me more than anything I've experienced to date. Thankfully, it was only for a few minutes. It really hurt as the dye was being forced into the tubes.....I was about to scream STOP and the DR said I'm finished now.......geeesh I was glad!  For me that was the only "discomfort" that I felt. Make sure to bring your own pad for after.....the place I had it done didn't have anything but the old style belted pads.

TTC since 2009 very frustrated 42yr and DH 40

5 cycles of Clomid with satisfactory response=BFN's
    Fibroid removal Nov2010
    IUI Clomid #1 Feb 2011...BFN..damn it!
    IUI Inject's #2 Apr 2011...CANCELLED...low estradiol
    IUI Inject's #3 June 2011...BFN
    IUI Inject's #4 Sept2011...BFFN
    Lap Dec 2011...severe endo..cyst removed..some remains...
    IVF#1 Apr 2012 ....cancelled due to over suppression
    IVF#2 July 2012....6 follies...only 1 retrieved....BFFN
    surgery suggested to move ovary to an better placement but....we moved two time zones away and are financially and emotionally empty

• I had some cramps and discomfort during and for about 12 hours afterward. I used a heating pad and took IB Profin and was fine once I relaxed. GL!
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Ok now that makes me feel better. But the thing is I dont think its neccessary to have this procedure done. I havnt been on fertility drugs, no major infections that would leave any scar tissue. Isnt this a test that is done when you've already tried a few things without success?
  • imageemptybelly21:
    Ok now that makes me feel better. But the thing is I dont think its neccessary to have this procedure done. I havnt been on fertility drugs, no major infections that would leave any scar tissue. Isnt this a test that is done when you've already tried a few things without success?

This should have been done before you started any fertility drugs along with a SA for your DH. No amount of clomid will help if your tubes are blocked or your DH has bad swimmers.

Katie, PCOS since May 2005, Fostering since November 2010 Adoption since December 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    *PCOS bio* *Cold Hands, Warm Heart*
  • Ok! Im starting to see the significance of this test. Thanks. Now I understand.
  • a lurker here. i have never had one myself but work in radiology and i assist the radiologist in performing them. i have heard both that they are very painful and also that they weren't that bad. everyone is different and depending on your issues you may have, some can be more painful then others. i just wanted to add that we have often times seen some women come in who have been ttc for a very long time with no success and that after having the hsg it sort of "blows your tubes open" if they where kinked or what not- long enough for you to conceive. so, i would say after having the hsg to sort of go at it with your hubby for a few days after because it really has worked for some girls. one of them worked with me and had been trying for years with no success. she had the hsg and was then booked for a hysterectomy when it showed that she would have almost no chance of conceiving and it was causing lots of painful problems. she found out she was pregnant only a day or two before she was scheduled for her hysterectomy. just some random insight into the benefits of an hsg.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"