Attachment Parenting
Options

Baby carriers- repost from 2nd tri

I'm usually at 2nd tri, but thought this would be a good place to post this as well... 

So I'd really like a couple of carriers / wraps / slings for when baby is born, but there are so many kinds and styles out there I don't know where to start.  I've seen some at Target, but some of them make me nervous d/t safety concerns. 

So...I'd like 2 carriers, maybe some sort of wrap or sling (I was thinking a ring sling) and something more industrial / manly looking for DH (hopefully something that we can carry in the back and in front facing out).  Ideas for 2 basic carriers to start off with? 

Re: Baby carriers- repost from 2nd tri

• Options

Most people start with something like the moby (or a DIY stretchy made from cotton jersey) which are great for newborns.  I have lots of info on woven wraps in my siggy if you want a wrap you can use from newborn to toddler.

I think a mei tai like the babyhawk is a great second carrier - I loved mine when kiddo was a newborn (more than the moby in fact as I found it hot/thick).  DH wears it too (they have some daddy friendly prints).  Another option would be a buckle carrier like the ergo or beco.

Sadly, Target/BRU/etc. don't carry good carriers for the most part.

• Options
    I have a BabyHawk that I love, so I am going to give a shameless plug.  It is super comfy, DD loves it, and it is SO PRETTY!  Plus, if you order it from the BabyHawk website, you can pick one side and DH can pick the other because they make them to be reversible.  It is fun to look at all of the possibilities and custom order it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have a moby, a ring sling (which I'm having user issues with), a new native pouch (just got this Friday and we haven't used it much), and I'm lusting after a pikkolo/beco/buckle carrier.

I use the moby the most - even recently figured out how to nurse in it. There are great youtube videos to help with the learning curve.

HTH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Coming back to add...

If you want a ring sling - which can be great for quick trips or nursing - check out sleepingbaby.net - she has some for $25 and her shoulder is really easy to get comfortable.  She also has some great ring sling info on her site.

• Options
    Thanks ladies!  Very helpful!
  • Options

I have a Moby, Pikkolo and Babyhawk mai tei.  The Moby is great for the newborn stage but I feel like my LO is getting close to being too big for it.  It's getting a little saggy now and needs to be readjusted after I wear her.  The Pikkolo is a SSC and is very easy to use.  I'm hoping that my husband will eventually take to it.  My intent is for it to be his carrier.  I use the Babyhawk for all of my trips outside of the house.  It's so lightweight and comfortable. 

If you only get 2 carriers, I'd recommend an SSC and either a wrap or a sling.  The Moby is a great beginner wrap because it's very easy to learn how to use.  You can buy it from Target and BRU online.  Even though I didn't buy an Ergo, it seems to be the SSC that more people like than any other.  The only big box store I've seen that carries the Ergo is Buy Buy Baby. 

• Options
    Agree that the Moby is the way to start- babies love how close and cosy they get. DH even likes to wear her in it. We have an Ergo Sport in black that will be DH's carrier, but aren't quite able to use it yet b/c we didn't get the newborn insert- DD should be ready to be in it w/out in a few short weeks, so it just wasn't worth the price for such a short period of use. I think the Ergo's are the most "manly" looking of the SSC's. Then, once the Moby is outgrown, you can either get a woven (if you liked wrapping w/ the Moby) or some other sort of carrier like a mei tai or beco.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"