North Carolina Babies

s/o Sippy Cups

Since we BF and don't regularly use bottles, when should I start giving DD milk out of a sippy on a regular basis?

I have tried milk in a sippy before, but only try it a few times a month.  She does okay (still working on holding it and tipping it herself).  Should I be doing this regularly?  Dang, I hadn't thought that around 1 I'll be transitioning cow's milk and she'll need to drink herself - haha!

Re: s/o Sippy Cups

• I wouldn't personally offer milk in a sippy, just water. Caleb loves to drink water with his meals, esp. since he eats more table foods and less purees. I don't see a reason to offer anything else in a sippy to him.
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • I would probably just offer her a sippy of water. I would probably always have it on hand, too, for her to get used to it, ya know? Plus, if she is thirsty, it'd be nice to have!
  • Loading the player...
  • This is a great idea.  Just enough for her to practice.  My concern is that I do pump every night before bed to build up/replenish my freezer stash, but we are using that same stash for milk in her rice cereal, so I'd have to start using more milk than what I put in to give her in a sippy, and hate for it to go to waste if she didn't drink it!
  • imageMrs_M&M:
    This is a great idea.  Just enough for her to practice.  My concern is that I do pump every night before bed to build up/replenish my freezer stash, but we are using that same stash for milk in her rice cereal, so I'd have to start using more milk than what I put in to give her in a sippy, and hate for it to go to waste if she didn't drink it!

It won't go to waste ... you can use it in other food for awhile. Even oatmeal (not baby oatmeal), etc, instead of using water, just use the BM. You'll find all different ways to sneak it in her food so that you'll use it. :)

And maybe in a few weeks or so you could drop a pump, too, when you start to have a really big stash (that you'd be afraid of wasting) ...

• Yeah, I would just offer water in a sippy. What I do is bring her sippy of water into her room in the morning and she chugs it, then I give it to her at meals, and just have it out all day like on the floor if she wants to drink from it. I have never put formula in a sippy and don't plan to. We also use one with a straw if we are out for the day. We started this at 4 1/2 months and now she drinks out of the sippy with no issues.

You may also notice as she is a little older (closer to one) she may lose a little interest in milk/BF so maybe you're supply/stash won't be an issue.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So if you give your LO water in their sippy, do you find they take less milk or food at feeding time?

DD is on the small side so I try to get as much BM in her as I can (she doesn't nurse long).  She eats lunch and dinner (her 'solid' meals) really well, but I just don't want the water to mess with her nursing.

Worst-case I try the water, notice she nurses even less, and hold off on the water for a little while longer, but just curious if y'all saw their eating patterns change b/c of water. 

• imageMrs_M&M:

So if you give your LO water in their sippy, do you find they take less milk or food at feeding time?

DD is on the small side so I try to get as much BM in her as I can (she doesn't nurse long).  She eats lunch and dinner (her 'solid' meals) really well, but I just don't want the water to mess with her nursing.

Worst-case I try the water, notice she nurses even less, and hold off on the water for a little while longer, but just curious if y'all saw their eating patterns change b/c of water. 

Nope!! Jocelyn LOVES her some ice water. In the morning she literally gulps it down. She still eats her 3 meals, 1 snack and 3-4 bottles a day. Try it and see how she does, because like you said your boobs won't be an option for cows milk and water come 3 months from now!! (unless you have some magic powers we don't know about)!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For this reason, I don't give her water when it's close to a milk-sippy time. I'm afraid it'll fill her tummy up!
  • i'd def. offer it to her with water in it so she gets practice. You can def. give it to her at meals and like when u are out walking or when she's playing at home let it be accessible. i didnt notice a difference in it affecting jack eating or taking bottles if he had water. now he didnt chug a whole sippy right before a meal or bottle. but if she takes sips here and there it shouldn't fill her up and also its good to get some extra fluids in them too.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"