Parenting after 35

OMG the crying

For the past 2 days, Mally is near inconsolable. If she's not sleeping, she's crying. She'll eat, she'll seem done (pushes bottle out of mouth, pushes off my lap with her legs, or just sits with the nipple in her mouth but doesn't eat anything), and then she'll start crying. We burp her, and not much comes out (sometimes a burp here and there), she's changed and dry... But the crying just keeps going. It's worse at night.

What could this be?!? I have been trying to be judicious with the paci, but the past 2 days I've been giving it to her *way* much because it (sometimes) settles her down. I got different formula today, for sensitive stomachs (we're BFing and supplementing), and got those drop-in bottles to try to help with the air if this is gas-related.

Is this colic? Is it just fussiness? I'm going to call the pedi on Monday but am sort of at my wit's end here!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: OMG the crying

• Mine was the same way at that age... it took a few months for it to sto...slow down, lol.  Have you considered trying gripe water?  I used it and played with Liam's legs alot (ride the bike and pumping them up and pressing lightly on his tummy)... obscene amounts of gas came out...and he thought it was fun.  Just a thought Smile

There were SO many times I almost called the Pedi...  but if it will make you feel better yea, I would.

• It could be colic or it could just be a phase. If it lasts longer and it's consistent, then it's probably colic. Talk to the pedi about formula rec's but a lot of people have luck with Alimentum and Nutramigen. My LO had a few days where he cried a lot but luckily it wasn't colic. At 3 weeks we switched him to Enfamil Gentlease (for gas) and he's been great on it every since.

Have you tried all the things they recommend to soothe a colicky baby? Running the vaccum cleaner, swaddling, taking her for a car ride, the swing.

Good luck, to this day I start to sweat when I hear my baby cry too much, I don't think I'll ever get used to that, it always breaks my heart.

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Loading the player...
  • How much are you feeding her oz wise? and what kind of bottles are you using? If its the drop ins then it could be gas. We use Dr. Brown's and felt they were worth the extra effort and cost b/c they really do cut down on the gas. Are you burping her at a half way point during feeding?

I wouldn't worry t oo much about the paci- if it calms her then just give it to her. She is only 4 weeks and at this stage it isn't a "bad habit" - its merely a coping mechanism - they need to suck to soothe themselves.

What about swaddling? Have you tried that?  

Wow I just feel awful for you. That must suck.

• Are you trying the shush, swaddle, swing technique from Happiest Baby on the Block? Matt could be in full meltdown and we would swaddle then put him on his side and it was like an off switch to his screaming. It worked up until he was three months.

Good luck!

• I say colic.  She is pretty young and my LO was doing the same thing at that time.
  • Have you tried Mylicon (drops to ease gas)??

I was having the worst week ever earlier - very much like what you described - and then realized during one of her "naps" that she was crying while sleeping because she had to fart. Poor thing. Once the fart was released she stopped crying. She did this several times in a row (making me believe her non stop fussiness for the week might be gas related). Had DH bring home Mylicon and baby girl's been her sweet self ever since! Definitely worth a shot IMO.

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh sorry. I hope it's not colic. The inconsolable crying is just heartbreaking. I wouldn't worry about giving her the pacifier too much, if it is what makes her feel better then it is what she needs. She won't go to kindergarten with it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • sounds like colic or some serious gas, my best friends were : Nutramigen, Gripe water, Mylicon and Colic drops by Boiron (homeopathic)

I feel for you.... and I promise it WILL get better.... {{{hugs}}}

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It could even be acid reflux if she is pulling off the bottle. That's what H was doing around the same age. Or as everyone said it could be colic.

• Is she pooping regularly and is it hard or does the crying stop when she poops. Callie had bad gas and when we switched the formula and added mylicon when necessary she was a different child. The real tears broke my heart, I would talk to pedi before changing formulas.
  • I agree w/ pp about trying Dr Browns bottles & Mylicon. They worked great for LO. Hope it gets better soon!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Is this at a certain time of day? Please, don't be colic. Let us know about the times, things you've tried etc. Between all of us, we can help you solve this. Collectively, we seem to have been through it all :)
  • For a while, there, Margaux would cry for hours every night, and would only stop if we walked around with her.  Once we stopped walking to rest, she'd start crying again.

I hope it's not colic! 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"